PDA

View Full Version : junkyard motor

1bad383
07-25-2005, 12:31
Hi all, I am considering replacing my motor installed in a 1994 3500. My question is, what year motors are compatable with the '94 engine harness?? I am not scarred of a little wiring, but would perfer a plug and play deal. A motor is a motor and will drop in, but will the wires connect the right way? By the way, if anybody out there has a GOOD motor for sale, please let me know! Thank you.

john8662
07-25-2005, 13:01
Just plan on transferring all your harness and accessories to another block, that way any of the TRUCK/SUBURBAN engines will work. If you want plug and play, the 94/95 model engines will be the ONLY ones that will work that way. The best route again is to find a great long block and bolt all your accessories to it. I'd go and find a 599, 141, 929 block to install in your truck as these casted engines have the same oil cooler line connection sizes. A 97+ 506 block will requres the adaptors to use your existing oil cooler lines. Also your oil pressure switch location will also change on the 97+ blocks, because it will be located in the valley. You can go ahead an bolt it in the back though.

Hope this helps...

1bad383
07-25-2005, 17:17
Thanks for the help John. One more question. What about the injection pump. There are quite a few different part #'s for them for different years. Are the hook up the same on the different pumps? Or if I get an engine with an incompatable pump, will I have to change it to 'my' pump? Thanks, one more time.

john8662
07-25-2005, 22:23
You'll have to determine what pump you have on your current engine. Some of the 94's have had the eprom changed out on the PCM to allow them to be universal in the injection pumps that will work on it. One way that I know that will let you know what you have it to look at your current pump. If you have a 5068 or 5067 pump, then chances are you have to stick with that model number. If you have anything other than that, then your eprom in your truck has likely been upgraded, this happens at the dealer and was usually part of the injection pump replacement.

It's really not that difficult to change the IP on the engines, especially when they're not in the truck. I'd plan on at least removing the intake manifolds on the engines for new gaskets. While you are there check connections on the IP as far as fuel and electical connection. I'd also go ahead and check the PMD and make sure it's secure on the pump as well as the little nuts/bolts under the black covers on the back side of the PMD.

1bad383
07-27-2005, 16:48
Thanks one more time. I just wanted to have my bases covered before I bought something. You answered all my questions!