PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fan Setup?

TurboDiverArt
12-26-2003, 12:25
Hi All,

How come I don't find much chatter about removing the clutch fan and installing dual electric ones? I only glanced at the stock fan but it looks like it's got a lot of blades. I would suspect that it probably takes a little bit to churn it. Wouldn't installing a pair of electric ones be better? Probably faster warm ups too, especially in the winter. Maybe the cost of doing so is prohibitive? A lot of my Grand National friends use a dual 9" setup, I think it's from a Ford Lighting, maybe it doesn't pull enough air for a diesel? Fans only cost about $89, would need to rig up a 30amp switch and temp control somehow.

Thanks,
Art.

tanker
12-26-2003, 13:27
This subject has been digested a few times on the forum. I think nothing can draw the volume of air of a mechanical fan. There are several out there. I'm now using a big Dura-Max fan with a Kennedy clutch and it works great. I run 180* most times and never see above 195* in the summer heat pulling hard. So why go to all the expense of dual electric, plus all the installation process involved. Just my opinion only, others may have valid reasons for using an electric fan. smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
12-26-2003, 14:03
More Power has sounded off on this subject a number of times. Seems he's done research and found that no electric fan set up can move anywhere near the amount of air of the modern clutch driven fans. I am using a late model 20", 9-blade fan and Kennedy clutch. Works good.

moondoggie
12-26-2003, 16:15
Good Day!

Jegs sells a fan called

TurboDiverArt
12-26-2003, 16:51
WOW, I had no idea that our fans pulled in that much air.

Thanks for the info!
Art.

S\W Off Road
12-26-2003, 19:48
I tried it with the 2 15" Flex-o-Light fans. When I was in the sand on the beach in Mexico locked in 4X4 it could not keep up with the heat build-up that I was making. I would have hated to be going up a hill pulling a trailer in trafic and have this happen. The air conditioning did work better when I was at a stop is all I can say for it. I later switched to a Duramax fan a new clutch from the dealer and have had great luck 4 wheelen in the sand. I later sold the electric fan set on ebay at a small loss.

MikeC
12-26-2003, 19:55
Art,

I've had THREE set-ups :eek:

1- Factory clutch and fan
2- Flex-a-lite dual electrics with thermostat
3- Duramax composite with JK fan clutch (currently on truck)

The factory clutch is inferior to the others. (my opinion)

The Dmax and JK setup moves significantly more air than the electrics.

While running down the road at highway speed I've seen no noticeable difference. The Dmax/JK set-up does a much better job when in traffic and when traveling slow.

Which is best?? I DON'T KNOW!!

The electrics seemed to offer faster warm up, but the others offered the previously mentioned advantages of better cooling when traveling slow.

I guess it depends on what you do the most with your truck. I still have the electrics and have considered putting them back on, but I still tow the camper in traffic at times.

Hope this adds to the indecision, as thought, pondering and fresh ideas may give us some "magical" cooling.

Mike

pannhead
12-27-2003, 08:50
moondoggie is absolutely right but forgot one very important detail...this cfm rating is at ZERO static...a radiator,condensor,trans & oil coolers,and grill is ALOT of static :eek: ....the $500 is better spent on a proven cooling upgrade as noted by others...i've never heard of anyone who can take 12,000 lbs up a 6% grade in 100 degree heat with electric fans...ok, i'm done, just my opinion ;) ...please dont do it :D