PDA

View Full Version : Trans Leak

DBeener
11-07-2002, 08:14
Newbie sayin hello, although I have been lurkin since July when I bought my truck. Figured it was time to join and pay for some of this knowledge I have picked up from so many of you!!! I was under truck changing oil Sunday and I noticed a drop of tranny fluid on my spin on filter and residue from more alongside of tranny. Took to dealer on Monday; took them a day and a half to look at but as soon as they did they called and said trans would have to be replaced.. Having done a search, I figured that would probably be the result as it looked as though it was coming from torque converter area.. New trans to be in tomorrow and they said 2 hrs to install so hopefully will have for weekend!!! Thanks for all the help David Beene

chuntag95
11-07-2002, 09:42
One drip causes a replacement? Did you have any signs of a problem driving it?

DBeener
11-07-2002, 10:08
Chris, It was more than a drip. There was residue along the side of the tranny and also you could see where it had "splattered" on the rear diff. There was no affect in driving plus no warning light either. As soon as I saw it I also checked tranny level and all was good. The Dealers are not allowed to go "into" the tranny for what I would call repairable fixes. They could not even tell me where for sure the fluid was leaking from. I did a search and the signs were similar to that of other people on this forum so judging from what I saw I took it to be from the torque converter area.. The drip I mentioned was all of the fresh fluid I saw as we have had a week of rain in the Houston area and the underside of the truck was relatively clean from the rain.. David

chuntag95
11-07-2002, 20:09
Bad news. Now I am worried, because I had a drip on the bottom of my filter, but blew it off. Now I will go check it out and see if there are other signs of leaking. I just got it back yesterday from having it reprogrammed for cold idle pulsing and high idle setup. I hope this isn't a "Here we go again!" type thing. I have had the entire left side apart and all the injectors reseated because coolant was disappearing. :rolleyes: Oh, well, at least it is still there nickel.