PDA

View Full Version : someone here predicted this(read the last line)

sdaver
11-04-2002, 12:21
With less than 900km (540 miles) it looks like my auto tranny has died!!!!!

Traveling along Trans Canada Highway at 110 km/her (66miles) Herad a clang of metal and tranny skipped briefly and rpms incresed by 300 for about 2 seconds....then heard a vibration in the drive train as if the universal had let go. Checked the driveshaft and universals...all was fine and tight. The nearest dealer was less than a mile away and I nursed my baby into the parking lot...turned the eyes of prospective buyers who were amazed by the low noise level. They were not to impressed to hear the problem I had just encountered.

Called my purchase dealer who is going to foot the bill for a rental....from day one the truck shifted abruptly into drive from nuetral....obviously the tranny was sick from date of conception.

Needless to say my 3 hour drive home to my residence in a mini-van was like attending a furneral but hopefully the baby will be better next week).

With earlier years 47RE trannys....was there a similar MO prior to tranny failure?

Your thoughts, comments sympathies and suggestions would be graetly appreciated.

A not so proud rammer

'03 2500 quad laramie 250 hp sick automatic tranny
just thought this might be interesting..(not my dodge)dave :D

ORIGINALLY POSTED ON THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS TDR

[ 11-04-2002: Message edited by: sdaver ] :eek: :eek:

[ 11-04-2002: Message edited by: sdaver ]</p>

mackin
11-04-2002, 16:54
Dave

Did your borrow a friends Dodge???? If you did you shouldn't of subjected it to the abuse you put your Dmax to and expect to get home.....

Tell the rental company or whom ever best of luck......

MAC :D

Chris N5CWM
11-04-2002, 20:14
That's why mine has the NV4500. And why I would
choose the ZF if I ever decide to get back on the
GM bandwagon. I like the new 2500HDs but I have
to pay off (3 more years) or SELL my 2001 Yukon
XL first.

My Dodge is a 2001 2500 quadcab shortbed 4x4
Cummins equipped of course. The ONLY reason I
went with the RAM was to experience the Cummins
mystique and seriously it has been a GREAT
experience so far (knock knock). smile.gif

I WILL be back in a GM truck someday $$ permitting. ;)

NickLeinonen
11-05-2002, 05:49
if you go back to the tdr and read the 3rd gen forum... it was not the auto that went toast... the factory forgot to fill the rear differential with fluid... it want kaput... hmm, same rear as tne gm hd's..... makes ya think

link. cut and paste [no ubb :( ]
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59217

Check you rear differenial for lubricant. From my earlier post it was felt my tranny was gone....MY REAR DIFFERENTIAL HAD NO LUBRICANT AND THE ASSEMBLY FRIED....the tranny is fine

This is nothing less than total neligance on the part of DC and the stealer...part of the PDI is to check all lubricants......there was no sign of seapage from the side axles, plate cover or pinyon seal.

Awairing a list of parts...I told DC that I wasnt a toatal new rear end assembly...given the housing for the side axle and all gears are fried.

I have no time frame as of yet...but given this is a new axle system....the dealer making the repair feels parts could be long time coming. Hopefully this is not the case...but if it is..DC can take this truck and find me another

I will keep you posted....but good news....our trannys are fine

A Proudrammer (Once Again!!!!)

'03 2500 quad laramie auto 4X2 loaded with everything except heated seats. Atlantic Pearl Coat, Slate leather interior.

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: NickLeinonen ]</p>

sdaver
11-05-2002, 07:24
i have a tranplanted nv 4500 dodge tranmission in my rock crawler jeep and you are right its indestructible......but the gas motor (406cuin stroker) only makes 270 rwhp and 450ftlbs torque. I have been pounding it fot 6 years or better. on the other original subject i to would be much happier about the rearend as opposed to the tranny........but i think i would check my brake fluid just to be safe........ :D hey you dodge guys come see us again ya hear......dave