PDA

View Full Version : WI Installed - Now I have a few questions

Chris611
07-25-2005, 03:39
I have installed a water injection system on my truck. It seems to be working, but I have a few questions. I made the system myself and I have a needle valve to control the flow rate. I am not using a "mist nozzle", but rather just have a fitting on the top of the turbo housing (I intended on using a nozzle, but after talking with the folks at Heath Diesel, went with the just dribbling the water in) I am running about 24oz/min free flow (no pressure).

Initally I made one full throttle run from a stop with no WI to 70 MPH. Pyro=1000F, Boost= 15psi peak, 12psi sustained, Intake temp = 230F Max (initial reading 180F).

Next was with WI. Pyro & Boost, pretty much the same. Intake temp started at 180F and ended at 125F. It appears to work, although I was pretty nervous :eek:

Yesterday I took the boat to the river. Outside temp was 100+F. Boat weight 5500lbs. Most of the time driving I am running about 6 psi of boost. Not enough to trigger the WI system, but enough to heat the intake to 215F. If I go up a hill, the boost will climb high enough to trigger the system, then the intake drops to 120-130F. Is there a better way to set the system up to allow for this?

Also, if my boost climbs or falls slowly, it seems the pressure switch has trouble "snapping" on or off, it sort of gets stuck half off and half on. I though I read somewhere that you can put a resister or capacitor on it to allow it to "snap" on and off?

Also any other advise people have as to tuning or using the system.

Thanks
Chris

Billman
07-25-2005, 07:31
You will have to test different flow rates to give you the results you're looking for.

An Accurate IAT Gauge with a High Sampling Rate will give you the best info. IIRC you have a converted gauge used from something else.

Heath's System/Style uses a Tremendous amount of water and depending upon where you set the switch for activation, and the weight being towed, you might end up needing a trailer full of water.

There are Board Members with this system and from what I've read, very happy with it. Maybe they will chime in.

I'm not that comfortable pushing that much water through the engine.

WMI Works though...

Chris611
07-25-2005, 09:16
Thanks Billy.

Yes I am using a converted Water Temp Gauge to monitor the IAT. I am surprised it acts as quickly as it does.

I found that yesterday, it took 120 oz of water to go 60 miles. That did seem like a lot of water. What causes the "dribble" in method to use more water than the "mist nozzle" method? Or is Heath Diesel just running more water whether its misted or dribbled? I would like to use less water. Seems that also with me running lower boost most of the time, an air-air intercooler may work better. I just didn't like the high cost, although recently I have seen here that guys are putting them togiether for less than $500.

Billy, what does it mean in your signiture that your 6.5 is mechanically and chemically intercooled?

Thanks
Chris

Billman
07-25-2005, 12:30
I think the low pressure systems use more water because they rely on the Compressor Wheel and location of injection to help mistify. Least efficient. Cost of high pressure pump may be a factor in Bill's system.

A misting nozzle with higher pressure is more efficient.

Then again a system that increases volume with increasing IAT's is even more efficient than a basic Pressure/Nozzle setup.

The least amount of water you could use to keep IAT's & EGT's in check would be the ideal setup. Every truck is different. You must fine tune to your individual liking.

Spindrift hasn't been here in a while. I believe He runs Bill's WMI. He's even using more water than you last I heard.

An Air to Air Intercooler is Awesome. Beg, Borrow, or Steal. You'll get over the cost Quickly.

Please take all of the above comments as Opinion Only.

My Signature:

Mechanically Intercooled = JK/Spearco Intercooler - Killer.
Chemically Intercooled = Homemade WMI. Nice compliment to above Killer IC.