PDA

View Full Version : BFG tire failure

David Proske
05-26-2003, 19:23
There have been posts here about tire brands and quality.
While following my dad back from the farm he had a right rear tire seperation on the highway while doing 70mph. Looked like a waile of a ride to me, he said he all but wound up in the ditch. Good thing I was towing the trailer and not him.

The tire was a older BFgoodrich All Terrain 31X10.5X15. The tire was 1997 production. The truck is parked inside, and he puts very little milage on it. The tire looked fine, with plenty of tread left. Aparrantly the rubber had dried out causing the seperation, though he didn't mention seeing any dry rot on the tire.

We have been running Michelin and BFG tires for ages with no problems until this one.

Pics of the carnage can be seen here.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bedias300

DmaxMaverick
05-26-2003, 22:55
BFG is not Firestone. Bridgestone is. I've been using Bridgestone for over 20 years on everything from compact cars to 80K OTR's with little to complain about. I also know of several that swear by Firestone, and some that wouldn't use them for a swing. Sounds like David's post is more of a testimonial FOR BFG than a complaint. One problem after "ages" of use is a good thing. All brands have cord separations and are junk. Just depends on who you ask.

Chevy Ryan
05-27-2003, 09:35
BFGoodrich no longer makes tires. Michelin bought BFG's tire division years ago (1986, I believe) and still produces the tires under the BFGoodrich name. If you go to bfgoodrich.com, there is no mention of tires, just other rubber products. The tire site is bfgoodrichtires.com.