PDA

View Full Version : ABS Re-programming for 2003...???

jjackson
05-19-2003, 12:34
I have 285 x 75 16 BFG's on my 2003. I called my dealer and ask if he would reflash for the larger tires and he said "bring it in". The service mgr and a tech both tried, and it "wouldn't let them reprogram it". They called Chev and they told them they wouldn't let them do it..? Apparently the Tech 2 calls for a VCI number or code, and Chev wouldn't give it to the dealer.

The question is: Haven't some of you w/2003's had this done..? If so, could you give me some details. My dealer wants to help but seems like his hands are tied. If any of you have had your '03's done, I'd like the dealer name/phone # and my dealer will call them directly.

Thanks in advance,

John

dmaxalliTech
05-19-2003, 20:37
John, its not gonna happen at the dealer level. The d-max will only accept the 245 tire at the factory level. There is no VCI program to correct it, thats why they cant get it. GM, the last I knew, has no intentions of doing anything with it either. Best bet is Predater IMHO.

Some have had abs reprogrammed but this does nothing for your speedo, and I dont think its a good idea to have modules on the class 2 data line seeing different vehicle speeds...

mdadgar
05-19-2003, 23:57
Hey dmaxalliTech, as someone technically familiar with these trucks, do you see any downside to a tire size coding solution like the Predator?

I'd love to run bigger tires, but there are way too many cops around here for the speedo to be off. I know I'd let my mind drift once and BLAMMO! Instant insurance hike.

- Mark

jjackson
05-20-2003, 05:17
Thanks DmaxalliTech, apparently I mis-understood previous posts some time back. I thought sure guys were indicating they were successful in getting the ABS reprogramming at the dealer for the larger tires.

I don't care to much about the odometer, as I only use the truck for towing a 13K 5th wheel, but was hoping to get the adjustment for the abs.

John

Kennedy
05-20-2003, 13:22
Not sure about the 2003, but on the 2001/2, you can do the ABS system under Chassis/K (or C)/4-WAL in the Tech 2. You may have to select an oddball tire that matches your OD if your size is not listed.

There isn't anything in there for speedo or other functions though...

PS. In some cases, if a vehicle is VERY new, there is nothing you can do for updates to the ECM/TCM so they defer you to VCI as well. This could be part of what they were finding. Again, they need to go in through Chassis/K/4-WAL

[ 05-20-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

jjackson
05-20-2003, 16:42
John, Thanks for your insight, I'll take this info to my dealer, who is very interested in helping. I'll share the outcome with the members.

John

dmaxalliTech
05-20-2003, 18:27
ditto with JK, Just for grins, I called to see if I could get a VCI no. for my truck to reprogram tire size, the answer I got was no. Not for the Diesel. There is some for gas but didnt ask which sizes.

Strange, I use the Predater to correct mine. works good

JJ, you should be able to change for the abs, but as I have mentioned before, dont like the puter seeing different signals..

Kennedy
05-21-2003, 09:14
On a related note, the Predator has incremental adjustments for tires every 5mm. Since I feel that the OE speedos are kind of "optimistic" from the start, I am trying the entry for 260/75/16 tires, and will likely fall back to 255/75/16 next time I can run on the dyno and verify accuracy...

DMax_Doug
05-21-2003, 09:50
Is reprogramming the ABS accomplished with the Predator when you correct for tire size / gear ratio? Or is the ABS correction programmed separately? If separate, will the Predator reprogram for both?

Doug

FisHn2DMax
05-21-2003, 11:04
JJ,

Everyone is correct, and yes some of us have had our ABS reprogrammed for a larger tire sizes! The Tech II programmer does not have a "285" tire size option, but it does offer a few other similar sized tires. I had mine done, and it did make a difference. I totally agree with Dmaxallitech, that it could create a problem, but so far it's working fine? I like the feel of the brakes much better and tranny shift points are improved under load. ODO calibration will require the predator or other after market offering.

My dealer Claims there is no difference in the 03's ability to be programmed from the 01/02's?

Good Luck.