PDA

View Full Version : Which brake controller?

SparkyTX
05-16-2003, 07:47
Okay, I am sure this will stir up as many opinions and emotions as GMC v. Chevy or Duramax v. PSD, but here goes anyway...

I need to know y'all's opinions on brake controllers. I really have it narrowed down to the Prodigy or the Jordan. I will spend most of my time towing a 3500# pop-up. I have towed this in the past with my big 4x4 Jimmy using a Tekonsha Voyager and it has worked fine. But now that I will also spend some time towing a 10,000# plus gooseneck flatbed with the 4x4 on it, I think I need a bigger, better brake controller.

I have liked the inertia-activated braking of the Voyager as it will brake the trailer on decel without touching the rig's brakes due to the shift in momentum. I know the Prodigy will do this as well. But I have also heard that the Jordan is very good, reliable, and easy to adjust for towing the two dramatically different trailers, although it won't brake unless you are on the rig's brakes.

So, real world advice please. Considering I have two different trailers (bumper pull, single axle, 3500# v. gooseneck, 30', tandem axle, 10,000#), which controller from your personal experience would I be best to go with?

Silver Bullet
05-16-2003, 08:02
A couple of the guys going to the GTG Saturday have Prodigy's...

letsgo
05-16-2003, 08:19
you have selected 2 good choices, I personally use the jordan for a trailer with 3 axels and it works perfectly the digital read out is clear,

the one thing I did was install 10amp inline fuses at each wheel, to prevent the loss of all braking if there was a short circuit at any one wheel.

before you drive off test the trailer brakes, the digital read out will give total amps which should always be the same reading.

good luck.

Colorado Kid
05-16-2003, 08:51
My standard advice on brake controllers is to choose one of the two you mentioned.

I think your point about the trailer brakes operating without touching the rig brakes won't happen with either of these controllers: The Prodigy won't energize the trailer brakes unless the the brake lights are on or you use the manual lever.

I have, and am very pleased with, the Prodigy, but I have read reports from many happy Jordan owners. You can't go wrong here.