PDA

View Full Version : SHOCKS- Another perspective

Bob E.
02-13-2004, 17:14
I have read through all/most of the shock threads. I would like to ask the "which shock" question in another context. We pull a 11,000# 5er and after we set up at a campsite we head out on some of the roughest, washboard, and pothole roads to our fishing streams. We de-air after dropping the trailer to 45# so we don't get bounced off the road.

We have been considering Bilstiens to correct this problem. Does anyone have any opinions on whether the shocks will accomplish this without the de-airing? Should we looking at different brand of shocks or something else within the suspension system?

TIA

Bob

Black Dog
02-14-2004, 14:59
The Bilsteins will help a lot, but you may still have to air down depending on speed and road conditions. These are high GVWR trucks, and they have a stiff suspension. A shock absorber can only do so much to compensate.

mark45678
02-15-2004, 07:02
I have had great luck with rancho rs 9000 shocks on my last 2 trucks ! I have heard the bilstiens are really good also! the nice thing on the 9000 shocks you can set the amount of dampening to suit the weight your carring.... stiff if loaded and softer if unloaded!simple twist of a knob

JimWilson
02-15-2004, 09:44
Just like you do with the tires -- by airing them down -- you can adjust the Rancho 9000's in a similar manner; by turning them down. There's no negatives to making your truck ride like you want it to, whenever you want.

Colorado Kid
02-17-2004, 16:00
I can attest that, with 80 psi in the rears it will still ride terribly when empty. Perhaps a little less terrible, but you'll still want to air down. I've got the Bilstiens and do the same chores with them. You'll love what they do for the ride when hualing, but they can make up for iron hard tires with nothing in the bed.

Lee_klm
02-21-2004, 14:15
While the Bilsteins may work great while hauling your camper or a load, I think they would still bounce you around quite a lot on a severe washboard road while empty.

I use the 9000's on the high setting when hauling a 3000Lb p/u camper, and then turn to a low setting when empty. From my experience, the high setting is fairly harsh, while the low setting is very soft, seems to have a good range. I tried the bilsteins, but sold them on ebay and replaced with 9000's.

Bob E.
02-21-2004, 16:23
Thanks for all the responses. Mark, Jim, and Lee-- are you saying the Rancho 9000's will soften the load enough without de-airing the tires? From the previous threads on shocks I thought there would be more Bilstien support. For my situation it sounds like the Ranchos are the way to go.

Lee_klm
02-21-2004, 23:00
not sure about your tires, but I can say that the 9000's will adjust down softer than your stock shocks.

Idle_Chatter
02-22-2004, 04:25
Bilsteins are the only way to go for me. They are high-quality "lifetime" shocks that are Mount-and-Forget. They will not "ride harsh on washboard roads" but will provide smooth dampening in all conditions and an overall improvement in ride quality that you won't believe. I've had Bilsteins on my last two diesels and won't look anywhere else. If you want to crawl around in your wheelwells trying to fiddle with dirt-encrusted knobs, try the Ranchos, but that's not for me.

Lee_klm
02-22-2004, 08:58
Or, for another $150, you can get the in-cab control for the 9000's..

norskeman
02-27-2004, 18:06
Just put a set of Bilstiens on my truck - has 3000 miles on it. You wouldn't belive the difference it makes. Now I see why many of you have changed the shocks so soon.

Got from Kennedy Diesel(Free shipping - 48 states on a full set order)

2004 GMC 2500HD EC LB D/A; GMC bed liner; Luverne Running boards;Bilstein shocks; Delvac 1300.

Yet to install: Air Lift Super Duty air bags; Michelin LT265/75-R16 LTM MS; Isspro gauges.

Towing a 2004 Everest 291L 5th wheel

gardnerteam
02-28-2004, 05:19
I have done a lot of off road washboard roads at high speed (60 to 80) in Mexico and Guatemala over the past several years in 4X4 CC diesels, with the latest being a 02 CC 4X4 DA which as equipped weighs 9,200 lbs. I beat the h-ll out of shocks and have destroyed OE, Edelbrock IAS, Rancho 9000, Doesch Tech, and others in anywhere from 7000 to 10000 miles. About 3 years ago after having Edelbrock finally give me my 4th set of shocks in 30,000 miles, I talked to a large Bilstein warehouse who told me they would buy the shocks back plus pay labor if the shocks did not hold up. Those shocks are still on that 93 CC 4X4 Peninsular 6.5 truck with about 130,000 miles on them on a chassis with about 400,000 on it. I put them on my 02 which has 60,000 on it including about 35,000 of hard Mexico & Guatemala use, and the shocks are like new. They gives a excellent (soft ride), but still give me the control I want. The soft ride my be attributed to the extreme weight of the truck which is usually over 11,000 loaded. The Bilsteins are one of the few aftermarket parts that exceed the hype. Now, if the Rickson 19.5 wheels will hold up and my injectors don't fail, life will be beautiful for my D/A.