PDA

View Full Version : Deepest snow driven in

TSimpler
02-12-2004, 19:19
What is the deepest snow anyone has driven in with out snow chains

We had right at a foot fall last night. I run 285 MTR's and was able (bearly) to make it the 4 miles out to the paved and plowed road. I was pushing a lot of snow with the airdam but I was able to stop to open the gate and get under way again. I was really starting to get worried, it bogged down bad on a few of the up hills, but it did keep going.
:D
Thanks
Trent

Runaway
02-13-2004, 08:01
I've had the opportunity to run in about a foot of snow with the stock 245's. Lot of weight in the front and felt it was going to spin out on me. This was also the light fluffy snow, very little moisture content. I don't think I would of done as good in wet heavy snow.

markrinker
02-13-2004, 10:44
I have driven easily through light powder snow 20" deep, and almost been stuck in my tracks in 10" of heavy wet March snow here in Minnesnowta...

MEP
02-13-2004, 13:57
I've not had any problems in 1+ ft of snow...BUT... last Dec I put a set of Bridgestone Blizzak W965 LT245'S load range E snow tires on my 2500HD long box. Compared to my stock Firestone mud/snow tires, I felt like I was driving with chains all around. Check these tires out on this site.Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com)

JimWilson
02-15-2004, 09:47
I drove through about 10"-12" of some fairly moist, heavy snow this winter. Had to do it for a couple of blocks. There were turns, where I had to stop first, but no real hills. My truck did fine; it packed a lot of snow under that cheesy "skid plate" -- which I was sure would crack -- but other then that I got through pretty good.

ryeguy
02-15-2004, 18:05
Depends on the type of snow. I was stuck pretty bad in ~6 inches of the white stuff this Christmas. And I've taken the DMax through stuff that the air dam was pushing pretty steady, though, as stated, the front end is really pretty heavy.

My 4x4 toy is far better in the deep stuff, though. smile.gif
http://www.bc4x4.com/fv/2002/hulk/hulk%2D20.jpg

--Rob

Lone Eagle
02-15-2004, 19:42
Mine is a lot of fun to drive in the deep stuff when the G80 locks. It wants to push the front ever where except straight. Later! Frank

Timberline
02-22-2004, 05:06
It does depend on the type of snow. In my younger days I use to go looking for the deepest snow that I could find just to see how far I could get and in Colorado you don't have to look very hard. The deepest powder and I do mean powder, I have actually had the snow coming across the hood of the truck and the key is to keep your momentum going. I have been in up to 2'+ of nasty damp snow and had the only vehicle that could get around. The truck I was using was a 79 Cheyenne long bed, 2" lift blocks with 33" BF-Goodrich Mud T/A's. The tires are the key to how well you will get around in any vehicle. I have also been in 1' of snow wondering if I was going to make it in my 91 Silverado with Goodyear Wranglers.

TSimpler
02-22-2004, 06:47
I'm expecting 18 inchs of snow on Monday. The last snow storm left 8 inchs of mid grade snow (not too powderish and not too wet). I am wondering if anyone has run front chains on a 2500HD and if they rub bad. I dont think I can with my 285's

Thanks.

Trent

Lawnboy
03-02-2004, 07:30
I've been through some pretty deep stuff, but always with a snoplow on the front.

When the V-Plow's raised all the way up and your still plowing....its deep.

It's not the depth of the snow, it's how narrow the roads become when there's oncoming traffic.

JimmyMax
03-04-2004, 19:45
We had a big storm in Colorado in 03, about 36" in Golden, I was the first one out of my subdivision. I never slowed down for the stop signs, and had snow to the top of my wheel wells. It was a damp snow and the G80 was working pretty hard. My Bridgestones were new and my wife had her eyes closed the whole time. I had a blast, and never got stuck!