PDA

View Full Version : Allison news...

More Power
02-10-2004, 17:56
I received the following note from someone who was concerned that perhaps the Allison 1000 was being phased out. It appears to have been cut from some recent Allison document.

"Allison Transmission will phase out its 1000/2000/2400 Series, MD 3000 Series and HD 4000 Series automatic transmissions in 2004 and will replace them with new Vocational Models, which are now available. The Vocational Models include the HS Highway Series, RDS Rugged Duty Series and EVS Emergency Vehicle Series, plus several others. Each series has limitations on horsepower, peak torque, gross vehicle weight, type of service and option availability.

For more information, contact your local Allison Transmission dealer"

I contacted Allison about the above statement, and they responded with:

"....the term "phase out" is a bit misleading, although it appears as if this was taken from something fairly "official".

Allison is, indeed, bringing out Vocational Models that will "package" options that are popular and/or necessary for various vocations (highway trucks, emergency vehicles, buses, etc.). The higher level models (1000 Series, 2000 Series, MD 3000, MD4000, etc.) are NOT being phased out per se. Most of us "insiders" view the Vocational Models as additional identifiers, or names, for transmissions that are "packaged" for specific vocations. Hardware-wise, other than the presence or absence of certain options, the units are IDENTICAL to offerings that were available pre-Vocational Model.

sixl
02-11-2004, 09:20
so are these new trannys in the LLY trucks if so how would we find out what is in ours?

More Power
02-11-2004, 10:48
The term "vocational" models is more a name change than anything else, and I thought this thread might help clear up any misconceptions.

However, the 1000 did see a series of upgrades to maintain the same high level of durability behind the new uprated LLY. Some of these changes were in hard parts and some were in programming.

MP

jobbie
02-11-2004, 11:42
guy's,
the new trans will be out for the year 2007 and it will be a 6speed allison rpo code of MW7.
the stick will stay the same.