PDA

View Full Version : No speedo or tach

ddp127
08-31-2002, 20:15
Hi. First I think I need to tell the story. Sorry. I was happy this morning, I washed my car (the LHS), and cleaned the leather when I got home. When I went to start her up, all I got was click, click, click. D'OH. So I pushed it out of the yard, pain in the butt, and jumped it with dads truck, (2001 Silverado 2500, not a HD). Everythings good, it ran, and I took it for a spin.

Now this is the part about the truck.

I used dads truck because I didn't want to use the car in case something happened again. I went to my girls, and we went walking and then drove around. We stopped to get something to drink and drove off. All the gages read normal, oil psi was around 50-55, water temp was around 195-200, fuel was at 1/4, volts were at 14-16, trans temp was around 140-150. Driving down the road, I lost all of my gages, oil, water temp, trans temp, volts, speedo, tach, and the odometer and trans selector thing. I also have no message center or any of the warning lights above the cluster. The back lighting works, as does everything else inside, the HVAC, lights. The trans is also stuck in second gear. It will not shift to first, or third or overdrive. One more thing, when I press on the button to switch from the odometer to the trip odometer and to reset it, all of the gages and lights on the instrument panel work. The truck has a 6.0 in it. I'm not sure if the motor and trans are the same as a HD, but maybe if it is you guys can shed some light on this. It only has 19,800 miles on it.

The motor runs fine, it's just I have no dashboard and only second gear. Could it just be a sensor of some kind, or is it something more complicated? I have no clue. In a way this is kind of funny because I have 2 cars to choose from, my LHS and dads truck, and the LHS is dead, and dads truck is just weird right now. Go figure.

Sorry about the really long post. I hope someone is able to shed some light on this for me. One other thing, I checked some of the fuses for the ignition, and they all looked good to me, but maybe I just missed one.

Again, sorry for the length, and any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Petruno
PSU 27-24 WOO HOO!!!

ddp127
08-31-2002, 20:50
Hi, it's me again. Sorry about all of the information in the first post, I just want to clarify it if anyone has questions.

The truck is a 2001 Silverado 2500. It has a 6.0 and a 4L80E.

None of the gages work (but the oil pressure gage does), nor does the message center, the gear selector thingy or the warning lights above the instrument cluster. When I hold in the button to switch from the odometer to the trip odometer, all the gages, the message center, the gear selector thing and the warning lights above the cluster DO work.

The other thing is that the trans will only hold second gear, no first, third or OD. I do have reverse. I just went out and held the button in and shifted around. The little square does say what gear I have it in.

One thing I was wrong with was the oil pressure gage. That gage works, but none of the others do.

Sorry to add to the confusion, but I jump started my car with the truck today, first I tried using the auxiliary battery (the one on the passenger side). Then I got smart and used the one on the drivers side. I had everything off in both my car and the truck when I did it. Could I have messed something up electrically when I jumped my car? Or could it be something with the NSBU switch? I was searching and found some stuff on that.

Again, sorry about my confusing way of explaining things.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Petruno