PDA

View Full Version : Silverado DMAX towing accident :(

andrewfessler
02-04-2004, 11:19
Well I am a happy and sad man, both at the same time.

I am unhappy because I wrecked my 03 DMAX the other night. The good news, no one was injured.

I was pulling my 18ft covered trailer (3k lbs) I also had about 400 lbs in the back of the truck.

I wrote up a story and photo album on the deal. (Photos of Truck (http://accident.onlinedesk.net:8080) ) My original guesstimate to have the truck fixed was around $15k. The dealer gave their preliminary quote today, $10k.

Apparently when the trailer swung around and bent the hitch, it also torqued the frame. So I don't get to have my truck for 3-4 weeks. We'll see how the 6.5 holds up to the weather.

Either way, I am glad I was in my DMAX, I didn't feel like I was in danger, although looking back, it certainly could have been worse.

Rockin
02-04-2004, 12:13
At least see if they will give you the $500 for the rims and buy aftermarket ones.

Turbo Al
02-04-2004, 17:18
Andrew, glad no one was hurt and it sure looks like a lot more than 10 to 12 thou damage OCH!
Did Chev offer an explanation on non-deployment of the air bag??
I just got mine all back together after a Semi crunched the rear bumper and 1/4 panel -- $1,650 in damage. I went with the Ranchhand rear bumper it was only $60.00 more than stock one (I paid the $60.00) and a much stronger bumper by far. I did take the old bumper and receiver off and yours must have taken one heck of a hit to bend it that far!
Again glad you are O. K.

Al

glclary
02-04-2004, 18:39
Andrew,

Last year I wrecked my '01 by running into a Chevy Trailblazer at about the same angle that you hit. Also 10 thousand in damages. The body shop told me that the airbag didn't deploy because the sensor is in the end of the frame and like you I hit on the corner but the frame didn't get much impact. I guess that makes sense.

Glad your okay. Sounds like it could've been alot worse.

Regards,
Lee

USA-1
02-04-2004, 19:57
Thank God nobody was hurt, trucks can be replaced.

andrewfessler
02-04-2004, 22:14
I was glad no one else was involved and no one was hurt. It happend around 1230 am. With my wedding being this Saturday, I was even more happy that I wasn't hurt at all.

A few miles before the accident had happened I took the truck out of 4x4 because I didnt see a need to run it with it. I suppose if I had left it in 4x4, the chances of slipping on ice would have been less, although 4x4 doesnt exactly help much on ice.

Either way I am glad that the truck held up and kept me safe. It can be fixed or replaced.

JimWilson
02-05-2004, 06:03
Wow, that really suks. Glad you walked away -- I'll bet that was a pretty scary few minutes.

How bad did the frame get twisted? Can't tell from the pics, but for sure that body damage is nowhere near 10K.

andrewfessler
02-05-2004, 06:34
Parts are so expensive. Wow.

Anyways the insurance company called, wanted to inform me that the dealer is going to use reconditioned wheels for my rims. They come with a one year warranty, whatever the heck that means.

A copy of the quote is visible HERE! (http://accident.onlinedesk.net/silverado/estimate.pdf) Required ADOBE Acrobat reader to view.

Rockin
02-05-2004, 09:12
Did you ask if they would give you the cash for the rims instead of the rims themselves? I quoted non chromed alloy rims at a little over $100 each. Then you can get away from the stupid 6.5" width.

Burner
02-05-2004, 10:35
Looks like everything worked as planned. The crush zones absorbed the front impact and the "box" was not intruded. The hitch worked as well as can be expected. The couppling stayed intact and the brackets deformed under twisting and compression forces, absorbing the rear impact from the trailer. I'm guessing that your impact speed was 10 to 15 MPH? I think that the airbags are set for 35+MPH speeds. It sucks to have your truck all mangled... but it's worth it! We are all glad you're OK.

BTW----------Congrats on the wedding!

Burner-------> :D

andrewfessler
02-05-2004, 22:00
Actually, when the truck let go from the road, I was doing about 57 MPH. I believe all the snow plowed up against the center wall absorbed most of the impact. I know I was doing over 40 when I hit the wall. I peaked at the speedometer.

Yes, I believe the truck performed as it was designed to. Absorbed most of the impact and left the driver in fine condition. smile.gif

Suxs to not have the truck now, right before the wedding and with all this new icky weather....ah, but to think of some place warm . . .

Cliffee
02-05-2004, 22:21
Jesus,

You might have been better off throwing a match to it!
Hope you can find a real quality Body Shop.

Good Luck.

andrewfessler
02-20-2004, 16:09
I stopped by the dealer that is fixing my truck yesterday. I must say they are doing a swell job.

I crawled underneath and inspected their work so far, double checking around the intercooler.

They did replace parts of the truck that had little damage. (New step bars on both sides because they come in pairs, three new tires and rims. New badges, new passenger side pickup box, new muffer and tailpipe system.)

It looks brand spankin new. I should be picking it up early next week. Gonna drive it before I pay em though smile.gif

andrewfessler
02-23-2004, 09:48
I called the dealer for an update this morning. When they went to align my truck Friday, they found out the rear axle housing is bent from where the front of my trailer hit it. They are putting a used (854 miles) axle in my truck from another 2500 HD 2003.

Looks like a few more days for me to wait. I am soo tired of waiting. I can't handle much more of driving my 94 dumptruck around town. The wife doesn't think it is cool either. :(

JimWilson
02-23-2004, 12:27
I've got my fingers crossed. Good luck...

andrewfessler
02-27-2004, 06:25
I picked my truck up yesterday, but took it back this morning.

I had not even left the parking lot and the service airbag light was on. I went in and told them and said I was going to take it home and bring it back in the morning.

I found that the turbo hose from the intercooler was still punctured. I knew that as soon as I got on the main road and heard all the air. The closest one that they can get is in MO. :( So no dmax for the weekend for me.

They neglected to replace the wiring harness that controls the passenger side lights and horn. Has severed wires, I found that myself.

Moral of the story, don't wreck your vehicle.

DeepVee
03-15-2004, 15:09
Our accident was about a year ago now. Our 2500HD CC hit a full size Dodge so hard it blew the Dodge cab right off the frame. Luckily everyone came out OK. Our airbags did not go off. After filing a complaint with GM and talking to an engineer I realized that my wife may have been hurt worst if the bags had gone off and dropped the issue.

Watch out for the recon wheels. Mine do not appear to be clear coated correctly and I need to take them in for replacement.

Our Truck Pictures

http://photos.yahoo.com/steveonot