PDA

View Full Version : tranny rebuild cost?

carnutsx2
05-07-2003, 10:36
Say I do distroy the tranny anyone know what a rebuild is going to be? Has anyone done the R&R at home yet ? how big a pain in the a$$ is it ? Mine works just fine but in the future you never know.

Burner
05-07-2003, 11:01
The guys down here, Birmingham,AL, said for 2,500 you could swap. Unless you want the numbers to match, that's the way to go. ;) However, I would suggest calling an Allison dealer. GM dealers "cannot" rebuild the trans, only an Allison dealer. :rolleyes:

Burner------> :D

king D
05-07-2003, 11:53
is that 2500 for new or rebuilt is the tranny still stock...ext...

dmaxalliTech
05-07-2003, 12:46
Gm dealers can rebuild if you can find a gm tech that can do it, They just cant do it under warrenty. I dont know what an overhaul would cost on them, 2500 seems low but that would depend on parts costs.

ram/tx
05-07-2003, 16:44
When I bought mine they tried to sell me the extended warranty and said if the Allison went after the 36,000 mile mark, it would cost me $6000 to replace the Allison. Don't know for sure they might have been just trying to sell me the extended warranty, but I bet they were close to what one would cost at the dealer.

dmaxalliTech
05-07-2003, 17:14
Last one we did trans was 3700 and core was 2500. Labor would be about 600-700. Figure 4500 easy

AnTKoch
05-07-2003, 18:50
Just a note to keep most of you out of tranny trouble. I had read this before but did not have mine checked. My torque convertor bolts came loose last week and caused a severe tranny leek, also maybe coincidence maybe not but a bearing went bad in the front of the tranny. Lucky for me I am in Denver and I took my truck to ATSDiesel which makes tranny mods and they were able to fix my problems. The bearing that went out they were able to swap with a spare Allison that he had bought out of wrecked truck but apparently parts would be hard to get. I got ATS level III upgrades and my tranny fixed for the price of the upgrades. But moral of the story make sure you get your torque convertor bolts checked smile.gif

Adam