PDA

View Full Version : Allison whining

84 C2B2
01-25-2004, 19:55
This is my first truck that has the allison installed. I have the 8.1 for the engine. Whether it is cold or warm it whines when it is not in locked overdrive. kinda of concerns me since it will let me know if I go the extended warranty route or not. How much whining should this tranny make when it's not in overdrive? It did have it's tranny replaced Dec 2002 for problems. Truck is a 2002 K2500HD CC SB. Love the truck, just concerned about the whining.

Jerry

keywest
01-27-2004, 16:21
:confused:

Jerry,
Mine wines & cries & takes it's time to shift when it's colllldddd....
I take it real easy until it warms up & it quiets down after a-while.
FWIW = Paul

jbplock
01-27-2004, 17:05
It's been very cold here (teens and lower) and since I flushed the Allison and switched to Mobil-1 ATF last summer, I don't notice the whine when it's cold. Last winter when the tranny still had the original fluid I always noticed a whine when cold but it would go away when warmed up. smile.gif

Idle_Chatter
01-28-2004, 03:49
The Allison also has a pretty substantial turbine pump at the front end that produces the whine. Mine is more pronounced when cold.

Idle_Chatter
01-29-2004, 04:17
The trans fluid pump in the Allison - the "heart" of the beast that produces all line pressure for engaging clutches through the valve body and control solenoids as well as circulating the fluid through the front mounted cooler and spin-on filter. It's hydraulic, not centrifugal, it whines.

carco
01-29-2004, 16:54
Most all medium duty Allisons I have operated have whined to one degree or another. The newer ones do not seem as whiney as the older modles. The MD series seem farily quiet but the older AT series were very whiney. My MT643 whines very little but then again it has 320000 miles but pulls good, have pulled my 18500# plus 73000# about 3 miles and another time pulled 52000# for 110 miles. I will find out in about a month how the D/A trans sounds, new personal truck on order. bob....