PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Allison

Burner
05-03-2003, 22:32
Can someone tell me if it is harmful or restrictive for our transmissions to shift hard or fast? I have read many posts about the defueling between shifts and am courious as to weather it should shift real quick or not.
--- More questions to come...........

Burner---> :D :D

dmaxalliTech
05-04-2003, 17:39
Burner, the harder the better, for transmissions. The harder and quicker a shift is made, the less slip is produced which will extend clutch life. Extreme causes may lead t hard part failure, but you most likely wont make an alli shift that hard.

I am looking into purchasing an allison transmission programmer which would allow custom programming of alli shifts. I hope to improve on them.

The alli cannot shift as fast as say a 4L60E trans, that is why there is a slight delay and seldom do they bang into gear like a hydromatic. The alli must release the clutch holding before it can apply the next, there is no one way sprags, check balls, orifices, bands or anything normally used in a GM trans. Just five Clutches and three planatary sets. I think if you could play with the trim solenoids, you could increase shift feel and decrease time. I will need t get that programmer and play with it.

Burner
05-04-2003, 22:01
That seems to be the synopsis on all transmissions...except for the Allison, as I have been led to believe. However, Dmaxtech, you are the mechanic and I will take your word on it. ;)
Ok, now for the other questions. Why do some programmers make the transmission slip over 650ft lbs and others don't? What could make this difference, shifting? I may be wrong but it seems as though the programmers that have more "delay" in the shift slip less. I'm trying to find out where the true edge (no pun intended ;) ) of holding power is on the stock Allison. We all have the same automatic transmission, the Allison 1000... or so it would seem. Then why do people say that 03's will hold better than 02's or 01's with a chip? :rolleyes:

Burner------> :D