PDA

View Full Version : Just finished KD Exhaust Install

AndyL
12-24-2003, 12:50
I have just finished the 3.5" Kennedy Diesel exhaust install on my 99 Ext Cab 2500.

The shipping box was above standard for most shipments of its kind, taped and banded 4 or 5 times. Every pipe was well seated and the smaller pieces were in a seperate box.

The exhaust tubing was well bent and the supplied hardware was fairly decent (although I could have used 2 more exhaust hangers). No pipe cutting was required.

The only problem I had was with the new downpipe. It's angle was slightly off and required some mild "Persuading" of the heat shield just above it, no big deal really.

Overall I am pleased, and the best part, it sounds killer!

Andy

T.RAY
12-24-2003, 13:47
You'll enjoy the sound and difference in performance. I did my '94 3500 recently along with chip and air mod. Waiting for spring to do the cooling upgrades and gauges from KD.

HANK1948
12-24-2003, 16:42
does your new exhaust have the turbo whine at idle?

Scooby
12-25-2003, 08:25
I am thinking of getting the Kennedy kit too. DOes it come with a 'test pipe' for replacing the cat. converter ?? I dont want or need the 'soot trap' on my truck. Let me know if you see a difference in power & MPG with the new system. THanks.

Ralph Fichtl
12-25-2003, 08:54
Hi Scooby,

Here is a link to Kennedy site for install instruction, cover what you asked.

Kennedy exhausts install (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/65exhaust.pdf)

AndyL, I had the same problem with the down pipe, I had to move the pipe down on the turbo bezel and then bend the bottom of it where it meets the 3.5. I ended up making some more mounts for mine.

I didn't get to test it very long. Blowing water out of the reservoir. After pulling the block I discovered a two inch crack in the number eight cylinder. Bummer. Although the bottom end has no cracks in it, I have decided to save money (now going over two month, lost job in October) for an engine I found down in Texas that has a 2003 block. This Suburban (3.42 gears) pulls a Jayco Talon 28 foot toy hauler. Empty weight around 7000lbs.

Merry Christmas and a Happy Year,

Ralph

AndyL
12-25-2003, 17:37
Originally posted by HANK1948:
does your new exhaust have the turbo whine at idle? Sure doesn't, there isn't enough exhaust flow at idle to even spin the turbo to an audiable level.

dstoops
12-25-2003, 17:55
I installed a 4" system from Pinnacle performance (Jerry Jardine and Co.) It fit well and I noticed that I CAN here just a soft whistle at the tailpipe at idle!! Runs better too!

Dean

dstoops
12-25-2003, 17:57
I installed a 4" system from Pinnacle performance (Jerry Jardine and Co.) It fit well and I noticed that I CAN here just a soft whistle at the tailpipe at idle!! Runs better too!

Dean

95-6.5
02-03-2004, 18:32
If you are wanting to hear turbo whine CHANGE YOUR AIR INTAKE....
I recently put a k/n cone filter that is right on the turbo inlet.I have stock exhaust minus muffler and soot trap.When idleing you can hear it al lot better than stock.When you give it gas you can really hear it.Sounds a little bit louder than my friends stock cummins.When im pulling my trailer 5k it SCREAMS almost sounds like a KW.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Wheat Whacker
02-03-2004, 18:36
I can here a slight turbo whine at idle with my JK exhaust. It does sound great :D .