PDA

View Full Version : tranny cooler

hug
10-07-2005, 15:22
Hey guys I am planning on designing a replacement cooler for my allison. I was wondering if you guys may be interesed in one if the cost of the cooler is cost effective. I am planning on designing it to fit the factory lines or at least make it bolt in with few modifacations as possible with cost in mind. I also plan on having it built with a built in bypass so that the extra capacity does not impair the warming of the transmission. The bypass should open somewhere around 150 degrees.

Ranch55
10-08-2005, 03:00
You can see the Allison transmission cooler upgrade I installed on my '02 Duramax and my '05 Duramax. No cutting or splicing the OEM lines. It dropped my tranny temps 20~40 degrees depending on load and outside temps. This cooler is manufactured by the same OEM supplier (Long's out of Canada) that makes the OEM stock cooler. Click on my following link. http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~texsas/ Ranch55 (http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~texsas/)

oyazi
10-09-2005, 06:50
Its already been done. There is a tranny shop in So CA that designed and markets a cooler w/glowing reports from satified users. Plug and play. Unfortunately not a member of this board ~

kylant
10-09-2005, 08:56
RANCH,

did you have to fabricate the mounting brackets or where they there or did they come with the cooler? $65 looks to be a better bargain than the "other cooler" for $450 :D

Ranch55
10-10-2005, 14:42
kylant......... The long side support brackets come with the cooler. I made the top using some 3/8" tubing I had to put the 1/4" cap screws (2 1/2" long, I think)thru. The bottom, I used some 1/8" flat aluminum bar that you can pick up at any hardware store. Set the cooler up in place with the top mounted first. Then measure how long the bottom pieces need to be cut, and holes drilled. Then, take the cooler back off, mount the lines in the cooler using the original cooler fittings from a 2002 HD cooler (they are 1/2" npt screw threads, the newer ones are metric thread) and secure the clips. Pull the cooler up in place and bolt to your brackets. See the photos in my link previously posted.