PDA

View Full Version : Getting wax off trim

FightinTXag
08-28-2002, 17:00
Anybody know of any good ways to get wax off of the black plastic trim. I tried using some Castrol SuperClean degreaser, but that stuff is pretty harsh. When the cloth started turning black I thought it might be eating a little bit of the plastic away. I got what I could easily and put on some Armor-all, but there's still a few spots and I don't want to use the SuperClean anymore.

Also there's wax on the edges of the 4x4 decal. I can lighten it up with my fingernail a little but this is slow and I'm nervous that I'll scratch the paint.

Anbody got any ideas?

hgiesbrecht
08-28-2002, 17:15
This may be of some use. Try Turtle Wax Formula 2001.I had the same problem the fender flares and bumpers are impossible to keep looking good. Went the local NAPA dealer a genleman behind the counter used this product it worked good for me. Hope it works for you. Total price including tax $6.80 canadian.

Harold

Paintdude
08-28-2002, 17:16
Wash the entire unit with Dawn dish soap to remove all of the wax..Then buy some Zaino Brothers polish and never have that problem again..

Thats what I did... smile.gif

TXDMAX
08-28-2002, 17:18
I used windex and elbow grease. Also heard of (don't laugh) peanut butter. Just wipe it on then clean it off. A friend also told me about using a white eraser. Hope this helps

hgiesbrecht
08-28-2002, 17:22
This may be of some use. Try Turtle Wax Formula 2001.I had the same problem the fender flares and bumpers are impossible to keep looking good. Went the local NAPA dealer a genleman behind the counter used this product it worked good for me. Hope it works for you. Total price including tax $6.80 canadian.

P.S.
The complete product name is TURTLE WAX FORMULA 2001 SUPER PROTECTANT/WITH SUN STOP

Harold

moisheh
08-28-2002, 17:50
I had the same problem. Tried everything in the house and garage: dish soap, laundry soap, bathroom cleaner, vinyl siding cleaner,degreaser, solvent . Nothing worked. Strangely GO JO hand cleaner did help, but not perfect. Finally bought some "Back to Black" for trim. It is either Mothers or Meguires. Worked 99%. I have also been told that rubbing alchol and a toothbrush will do it. 2 caveats: dont use the toothbrush anymore,. If it doesnt do the job do not use the alchol to make maragaritas.

Dakota
08-28-2002, 19:15
Don't have any further ideas for you to remove the wax but I agree with Paintdude, switch to the Zaino polish system next time. Takes some time, especially if you add a few coats, but am impressed with it.

westies
08-28-2002, 20:32
I use alcohol and a tooth brush and all wax gone. Next time I used masking tape first and saved alot of time.

ThePend
08-28-2002, 20:37
I use Stoner product Tarminator. Works great on tar, tree sap, grease, and wax on black trim.

Black Dog
08-29-2002, 05:37
A white gum eraser takes it right off.

JimWilson
08-29-2002, 06:31
westies is right; use alcohol and a *soft* bristled toothbrush. See if you can find denatured alcohol instead of isopropyl, because that's a bit harsher on porous plastics.