PDA

View Full Version : Folks With Active Suspension?

Idle_Chatter
05-03-2003, 10:22
I know a couple of people have posted in the past about Active Suspension. I'm considering purchasing for axle-wrap and rear stabilization. My question is on installation and impressions after use. It looks like it just hooks over the rear spring eye and goes under the upper spring plate and u-bolts. Easy to install? Can be done on the ground? How about impressions after installing and driving and do you feel that it's money well spent? Any info appreciated.

conway
05-04-2003, 18:39
Very easy to install. Did it on ground. Jacked up vehicle under rear differential and placed jack stands. Was easy after that. I do not notice any change in ride, however I did not have my truck very long. Did it right after 500 miles logged. Installed it because I did not want to install air bag suspension as a friend did. I tow a 5 ton trailer and do not have rear sag problems. It is benign in that once I installed it, I do not think about it any more.

Tsckey
05-04-2003, 19:11
This may not be worth much, because the vehicle was so different, but I installed a set on a Dodge Mini van that was bottoming under the press of passengers and tent trailer. Easy to install just as described and they did the trick. Actually, improved the unloaded ride as well, which was an unexpected bonus. Don't know how they would work for preventing axle wrap, but if I were to need some overload help I'd give them a try.

TC

Jake99Z71
05-04-2003, 19:33
Idle
I have had mine on for about 2 years now. I like the empty ride better when on a wash board road. I have also noticed they helped a lot in cornering on the on and off ramps. One could say that the truck corners like a "sports car". Axle wrap well never seen that to be a problem do to the GM design of having a shock on both sides of the axle to prevent this. The active suspension should help axle wrap if you have any.

biker Wayne
05-06-2003, 11:57
I just installed Active Suspension on my 2500HD. I wanted to help keep the top 4 leaf springs off of the bottom overload spring, because when pulling my trailer with 1200# tongue weight and with 1200# weight bars, the top 4 springs ride firmly on the overload spring, which does not give. The result is a very harsh, rough ride. Installation wasn't difficult, just time consuming. You are supposed to totally unload the springs when putting the active suspension on the rear shackle.
Ride without the trailer is now slightly rougher, and only marginally better when pulling the trailer. I already had a set of Air Lift air bags, and they improved the ride much more than the Active Suspension. I don't care about axle wrap and rear stabilization, because I didn't have those problems.
I would have to say that for what I wanted to do, the active suspension is not worth the $150 I paid for it. I may be sending it back.
My $.02 worth.