PDA

View Full Version : remote starter?

Shad
12-24-2003, 10:58
Anyone have a remote starter on their T.D. I had one on my Ford 150 before my suburban and loved it. I just dont know if I trust not being in this truck while starting? My last remote starter was made by bulldog and I istalled it myself, fairly easy....

DamienJ
12-24-2003, 18:38
I've installed a crimestopper in my truck works great. Had a ton of compliments on it and a few scare from people wondering if they started it(the truck) buy accident. My range is awesome.(500-1500 feet)
Good luck
Found mine on ebay for i think 60.00 bucks

TurboDiverArt
12-26-2003, 04:34
I'm planning to put one in myself one of these weekends. Question, which wire under the dash is the glow plug light wire? Mine has the option of waiting for the glow plug light to go out before trying to start. I know which wires are all the others but not the glow plug wire. I figure if someone knows the color code and rough location it'll save me from hunting and pecking under the dash.

Thanks,
Art.

Shad
01-15-2004, 12:28
Well I am installing a Bulldog 12I deluxe remote starter for my sub. Should be here in a few days. I thought since I am disconecting the cheesy alarm system on it now this would be a good time to install one. I did install one on a ford with no problems but any suggestions would be appeciated. By the way Art... the wire which you are looking for is the DK. GRN or DK BLUE wire pin 20 on inst. closter connection. Thanks, Shad

tswartos
01-15-2004, 15:53
I have a clifford on mine and have been happy with it, u can also wire the remote start to switch to hi idle if u have the extra buttons on the remote. Just about any decent remote start u can utilize the delay timer.

TurboDiverArt
01-16-2004, 03:44
Originally posted by Shad:
Well I am installing a Bulldog 12I deluxe remote starter for my sub. Should be here in a few days. I thought since I am disconecting the cheesy alarm system on it now this would be a good time to install one. I did install one on a ford with no problems but any suggestions would be appeciated. By the way Art... the wire which you are looking for is the DK. GRN or DK BLUE wire pin 20 on inst. closter connection. Thanks, Shad Thanks Shad! I should be getting the truck back this weekend. Need to carve out time to install the damn thing. Wife's got every weekend booked into February so naturally it won't get installed until the summer, just went I no longer need it! :mad:

Gapper_ca
01-16-2004, 07:56
i have a Ultra Start installed on my 96
it is great
it has a wire hooked direct to glowplug wires to get the input for that. had mine professional installed. could have done it but would have been a little tricky for some of the sensors
tec said bigest problem is were the tach is from. some are from alternator, others from timeing and one other place. also if you have security then add $$$$ to get one to bypass. 98 and newer.. use mine year round.

MR.E
03-06-2004, 16:06
Shad - Did you install the remote start? How did you wire up the tach signal?

I have mine complete except for the tach input.

Tony J.
03-06-2004, 17:03
Don't some of them have a cooldown feature too, so you can walk away and the engine will shut off after 2 minutes idling or something? I thought I'd heard of that somewhere...

MR.E
03-06-2004, 21:49
Typically a turbo timer has the cool down feature you are speaking about. I don't know of any remote start units with the cool down circuit. It would be nice though.

panchosteam
03-07-2004, 12:43
Hi guys,some of this alarms have auxiliary outputs wich can be programed for latched, pulsed,or timed out puts it depends on what kind of alarm you are getting,i my self like the last cliffords they are good on this kind of things and yes you can use one of this auxiliary out puts for cooling the turbo, also clifford made some alternator sensors so you can get the rpm of it, i have concept 600 with intellistart,night vision,and the alarm comes with auto window roll up feature a real good thing.

Gapper_ca
03-08-2004, 06:51
the UltraStart has the turbo timer. also you can get them with an alarm system or with out.

Shad
03-09-2004, 02:20
I have got my remote-start working... It is a bulldog unit. Overall it has worked well but I have had a few problems starting it, It doesent always crank long enough and automatcally cranks a second time and starts. I am not conviced It reads the tach signal correctly all the time. I have gone through the directions and set ups a couple of times and everything is hooked up correctly. I just hit the pit stop feature to allow for cool down.

MR.E
03-09-2004, 22:57
Shad - Where did you connect for tach signal?

AJ650
03-10-2004, 02:34
I've had an audiovox one on my truck almost as long as I've had it. I pulled tach signal and GP straight from the alt and a glow plug, very simple. Generally they all have provisions for being on a diesel truck, that being the GP input. If it reads voltatage it will not crank and wait for the GP to shut down before trying to start.

The downside is that if the engine doesn't catch before the GP kicks back on, it will stop cranking until the plug dies again. Cool down is very simple, just turn on the remote starter b4 shutting down, pull keys and walk away. When the timer expires it will shut down the truck.

Timers usually adjustable between 5 and 30 min. If you're in your house and want to shut down after 2-3 minutes, just do it with the remote. Very cool and useful. I recomend them.

Shad
03-10-2004, 02:48
I picked up the tach signal behind the instrument cluster on the wiring harness. I looked up the diagram in my helm manual and found the wire. I don't recall which color wire or pin it was. But if you need it I'll look it up.