PDA

View Full Version : tranny fluid

bwpody_16
09-21-2005, 13:24
I plan on changing my allison spin on filter and draining the pan this weekend, just wondering what you guys recommend for replacing the fluid, i suspect about 8 qts?

thanks

jjackson
09-21-2005, 16:12
bwoody, if you have the stock pan, and with the new filter change, it should take right at 8 quarts. Notice the magnet on top of the old filter (if its not there, it stuck to the tranny), it needs to be cleaned off and re-used on the new filter.

john

bwpody_16
09-21-2005, 17:13
what kind of tranny fluid are you guys putting back in?

jbplock
09-22-2005, 02:55
Originally posted by bwoody:
what kind of tranny fluid are you guys putting back in? bwoody,

GM requires Dexron-III H fluid. The H revision is the latest spec per the TSB quoted below. So, you should be OK with any fluid that meets this spec. Many of us here (my self included) have flushed their Allison's and converted to a synthetic fluid that meets the Dex-III spec. Popular choices are Allison Transynd (made by Castrol), Mobil-1 ATF, and AMSOIL ATF (2 types ). For more info on flushing and synthetics try searching the forum.

If you are draining the pan (without flushing) you might consider using Penzoil ATF available from Wal-Mart in 1 gallon jugs. It also meets the latest Dexron-III H spec. I used it recently when changing the fluid & filter in my Impala's 4T65 Tranny.

"Bulletin No.: 04-07-30-037, Date: September, 2004
Subject: Release of DEXRON(R)III (H-Revision) Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
Models: 2005 and Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks
with Automatic Transmission/Transaxle
DEXRON(R)III (H-Revision) ATF
General Motors has recently upgraded the DEXRON(R)III ATF specification.
The upgraded specification is referred to as DEXRON(R)III (H-Revision). This upgrade will ensure that ATF's are commercially available to match the quality and durability of current factory-fill ATF. Fluids that meet the requirements of the H-Revision are labeled as "DEXRON(R)III", Approved for the H Specification".
The fluids labeled as DEXRON(R)III , Approved for the H Specification can be used in any transmission application which specifies the use of DEXRON(R)III , IIE, II or DEXRON(R) ATFs. DEXRON(R)III Fluids that DO NOT meet the H-Revision will not be licensed after December 31, 2004."

smile.gif