PDA

View Full Version : Hesatation at low speed

w1ldb1ll
04-30-2003, 02:10
When I start out down the street it takes the truck some time to know I am stepping on the gas. Is this normal for the allison transmission? It runs fine at high speeds and when you floor it. I get no faults. The vehicle is a 2002 2500HD

mackin
04-30-2003, 14:13
w1ldb1ll

Just wondering if your familiar with turbo lag?? ;)

MAC

DuramaxDicko
04-30-2003, 17:03
mackin,

don't know if he is, but I don't know.. this will be my first turbo and diesel...trying to soak up all I can
thanks
dick

a64pilot
05-01-2003, 07:40
Dicko,
Basically any turbo equipped vehicle will not respond strongly to an immedate fuel increase due to the turbo being an exhaust driven turbine. There will be a lag until the turbo "spools" to speed and starts pumping pressure into the intake manifold. This lag time is varible and has to do with the initial turbo speed. If you are pulling a loaded truck up a hill the turbo is probably already spooled and there would be no lag, whereas if you are at slows speeds in a lightly loaded truck the turbo is at a slow speed and therefore it will take about a sec or so to build boost and therefore power. Hope this helps. BTW lag is an operating charteristic of all turbo vehicles and is in no way a defect of the Dmax.

DuramaxDicko
05-01-2003, 17:13
a64pilot
Thanks much for the reply and clarification... u guys (and girls) are great, I am so happy to be part of this forum as everyone is so helpful in helping the experienced and in-experienced (like me)

thanks again
dick

mackin
05-02-2003, 05:59
If you want to minimize turbo lag increase your air volume in and out .....

Change out to a modified stock airbox and install an Oily Couch cushion (Amsoil two stage) and a free flowing exhaust system .... I like the Banks, deep rumble ......

If you really want boost go for the AFE intake setup ..... But you may have to remove for service depending on your participating dealer ......

Later, we discuss The Juice,what lag ??

MAC :D :D :D

[ 05-02-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>