PDA

View Full Version : Bio Diesel Concerns.

atvpilot
09-20-2005, 04:10
Hi All,
I live in the northeast part of NYS and I have been seriously considering the Bio Diesel option but I have some questions that I sure could use some answers to.I have a 2002 D/A CC/SB4wd I do have it tweaked a bit with one of those plug and play tuners.

1) What effect does it have on the truck in cold weather-winter time.
2) If you are on a trip and you are running bio and you need to fill up with reg diesel, will it caue a problem to mix them.
3) I live in a residential development, Is there a problem with having a storage tank.

4) What is the best place to research or best site to go to to find prices on systems and information.

Anything you all could provide me with I would greatly appreciate.

mountainibis
09-20-2005, 17:46
atvpilot -

I've been looking into biodiesel as well, and might be able to help you a bit.

1. Biodiesel gels at a higher temp. than petro diesel. You'd have to install some sort of tank and fuel line heater to keep everything running well in cold weather.

2. Biodiesel and petro diesel can be mixed. Filling stations are starting to provide biodiesel blends. I've also heard that almost all diesel sold in Europe is at least a 10% blend.

3. The chemicals used to brew biodiesel (oil, lye, and methanol) can be dangerous, but are no more dangerous than other household chemicals. As long as you're careful and conscientious, you should be good to go.

4. There are quite a few good sites that explain the process and the equipment necessary to make biodiesel. The National Biodiesel Board's website (www.biodiesel.org) is a good clearing house of information, with lots of links to other sites.

GM (and most every other company that builds diesel machinery) does not recommend running biodiesel because of its solvent properties and problems that can arise. Their concern is corrosion and injector malfunction. However, there are many people who have run biodiesel in their relatively stock vehicles without trouble. I guess it's all in who you trust.

Biodiesel will clean the residue left by the petro diesel in your truck's lines and tank. If you do decide to run it, plan on replacing your fuel filter several times.

I hope this helps.

atvpilot
09-23-2005, 15:35
Thanks you sir for the reply and the info. Is there anybody on this board that is running it now? Post up and let me know how it is performing in your DuraMax. I just got back from the Hess fuel station. It cost me $46.00 to top of the tank in the truck, then I forgot to fill the gas cans we keep for the lwan mower and the toys. That cost me $48.41. So out of $100.00 I got 5.60 back in change. That blows my fuel allowence for the next week or so. Thank God I have a motorcycle; I have been riding it back and forth to work everyday for the past week and the Duramax stays parked in the drivway. Although it still costs me almost $10.00 to fill the bike, when it used to cost me $6.00. Now these pinheads are telling us that Hurricane Rita is going to drive up the cost of fuel even more. I SAY HOG WASH , IT'S JUST ANOTHER EXCUSE FOR THE OIL COMPANIES TO DRIVE UP THE COST OF FUEL AND PUT IT RIGHT TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. Whew!!! well that's my rant for the night. Enjoy the weekend all.
Da Pilot ;)

sluggerjoe
09-23-2005, 17:02
The manual says you can run 4% Biodiesel. I have been using it since our local station carries it. I never gave it much thought. Should I not run it?