PDA

View Full Version : Change in starting behavior

turbovair
12-24-2003, 00:39
Recently, my trucks starting behavior changed during the first start of the day. The engine cranks over fine, the engine attempts to fire, and as you release the key to run it dies.On the next attempt, it fires and idles fine. No SES light.Engine performs well in every other aspect.I know its not really a big deal, but the engine NEVER did that before about a week ago.It doesnt get much below 40 here in the morning. Any ideas would be appreciated....and Merry Christmas to all!!!

rjschoolcraft
12-24-2003, 07:28
Any smoke accompanying this event? How many miles are on the engine?

As cold weather approached this year, I noticed that my Suburban wasn't starting as well as it did last year. I had over 186,000 miles on the glow plugs, so I installed a set of Kennedy Quick Heats. That helped, but it still didn't seem to be right. Since my injectors also had that many miles, I installed a set of Kennedy High Pop injectors. I also did the battery post mod. The sum total: the truck starts better than it ever has since I owned it.

turbovair
12-24-2003, 15:21
Ronniejoe,
Sorry to leave out critical details:
Minimal to no smoke on start.Seems like the glow plugs are working OK(new plugs). Truck has 117,500 on it. Original injectors.Almost seems like air in system or pump not producing required pressure on initial start. Its a pretty minor issue, really. Maybe I need some new injectors, and a new turbo(some radial shaft play).Thanx for the reply.

kowsoc
12-25-2003, 06:44
Turbo does not have any bearing (pun intended) :D on starting. Could it be you got a batch of poor quality fuel? Some areas have minimum standards for fuel quality others do not. Is your glow time the same as before? A failing coolant temperature sensor could shorten glow time causing this.

JohnC
12-25-2003, 16:31
One thing that can change overnight that affects starting performance is the lift pump. I'd test it first. Also, review the DP turbo tips article on stalling.

Don H
12-26-2003, 05:31
My 95 was taking longer to fireup in the morning just as the temp started to go down, so i replaced the fuel filter thinking it was getting cloged. then my truck would not start so i replaced they oil pressure sending unit and it started. now its back to is good old self again.