PDA

View Full Version : rear end clunk, jump, rattle shake..???

MudNurI
01-25-2003, 20:57
Okay- second hand information here, so bear with me...

John is complaining about the rear end...and here's his way of telling it.

Tight corners- in a parking lot for instance...slow speeds....rear end almost feels as if it's binding up....shakes the whole cab of the truck...doens't do it in every day driving.....he was marking dumpsters Friday, and had to do a lot of parking lot driving, and said it feels to him as though the rear end is bout had the radish...

we did the faithful rear end change at 1K...haven't done it again- we're somewhere around 50K....It was at the dealers on Tuesday getting oil change and inspection sticker...they did the "required maintenance"...

Any idea's WTF this could be?

thanks
Brandy

Kirkes
01-25-2003, 22:50
Is it a 4WD
Sounds like he has it in 4WD

Spoolin'It
01-26-2003, 02:28
Sounds like the clutch packs binding in the locking rear from the oil being spent. Change the rear diff. oil, it may take a few tight turns to get the new oil in between the plates and sliding smoothly again.
The rear staying locked will make it feel like it is wheel hopping like its still in 4wd.

MudNurI
01-26-2003, 07:24
Guess I should have mentioned it was NOT in 4 wheel, but felt like it was..

I'll have him send it in for a rear diff change...gonna get the book out too....the truck is suppose to have ALL the "required maintenane" done by the dealer....everytime we drop it off for something, oil change, warranty work etc.. it's on our work order to do the 15K service, 30K etc..... wonder if they didn't do one that they were suppoes to do.

Brandy

technician
01-26-2003, 16:16
MudNurI,

Just went through exactly the same thing as John !!
Turns out I either didn't see it or it's not in the manual about changing rear diff break in oil @1000mi
News Flash my limited slip was making all kinds of noise @ 25,000mi imagine that! redface.gif Anyway long and short of it I had dealer change it in case there was a warranty concern. Total $ 127.00 Whew, what a difference. I took my truck to a parking lot and did a series (6-8)of tight figure 8 turns (lock to lock) as stated somewhere in these posts and it's all better now :cool:

MudNurI
01-26-2003, 18:50
Make sure you do it again in 40-45K...that's where we're at! We did the rip me off service at 1K- with the LOF and the rear end change it was 300 buckarooos!

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow, and get it in for the change..

glad to hear someone that had the same issue..thought for a minute he was hearing/feeling things...

Brandy

technician
01-26-2003, 21:40
MudNurI,

Thanks for the tip.
Now that I know the drill I will be doing my own swap to something other than the dealership Majgic Juice. ;)

Chris,