PDA

View Full Version : changed ally spin on, now temps way up?

kylant
09-08-2005, 20:32
I just changed my spin on filter today for the first time on this truck. It is a little early, but I figured it would not hurt.

I changed it as I always have, cleaned the area, took the magnet off the old filter, filled the new one with atf, reinstalled hand tight, then snugged it up with a filter wrench (not to tight).

I did this several times on my old truck without a problem.

After doing this today, I have noticed my tranny temps being much higher than they were before. My temps were 170* plus. The tranny also got hotter much faster than usual. Before today I never saw above 150* on the guage.

The outside temp today was only 78* so that is not a real contributing factor.

What gives? Why are the temps so much more? Could I have gotten a bad filter?

Please help, thanks in advance

jbplock
09-09-2005, 00:31
A 170 deg tranny temp is not bad with a 78 deg ambient, especially if you have the AC on and are in stop and go traffic. My 03 with the deep pan runs 150-160 going down the road but will rise into the 170's when in stop and go traffic. It will also approach 190-200 in stop & go traffic when ambient temps are in the upper 90's and above (with AC on in all cases).

Did you use an Allison filter or after market? Maybe keep an eye on it and see how the temps vary under different driving and ambient temp conditions. If the temp still seems high to you changing the filter again can't hurt...

On edit, I just read your other post A/C problem....help please! (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=006359) ... If your A/C is running it will also tend to raise the Tranny Temp ...

smile.gif

[ 09-09-2005, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

kylant
09-09-2005, 04:58
I used an Allison filter. I guess I will just change the filter agian today to see. I am also headed to the dealer to check the A/C

thanks