PDA

View Full Version : Sound Dampening

BigMikeO
04-01-2004, 17:39
I know that many people are proud of how their truck sounds,

BUT

I am starting on a new shift at work and I will be leaving the house at 5:30 am, The houses in my neighborhood are fairly close together and I am hopping to add some sound dampening stuff to my truck so I don

DmaxMaverick
04-01-2004, 18:09
Staight pipe and lots of ear plugs....

If you have "OEM" exhaust and your timing is set right, there's really nothing you can do do "quiet" it down. Lagging on the garage walls may help with noisy cold starts.

rapidoxidationman
04-01-2004, 19:31
Get a Duramax... :D
Rapid

tom.mcinerney
04-01-2004, 20:32
1.) Park in snow bank.
2.) Take off very gently.
3.) Block heater might help.

eracers999
04-01-2004, 23:00
Make it a 18 to 1 motor with the timing back and no 2 fuel on a cold morning. That will shurly divert from the noise.
Sorry i cuoldent resist throwing that out there.
Kent

Dvldog 8793
04-02-2004, 12:04
Howdy
With stock pipes, Probably not allot you can do to the muffler. You could try a downward angled exhaust tip. Also if you plug your truck in it will quiet it down.
Otherwise the best bet would be to Leave really FAST then by the time they wake up you'll already be gone and they won't know what woke them up! :D
Probably blame it on somebodies dog :D tongue.gif
L8r
Conley

rapidoxidationman
04-02-2004, 15:44
From the above replies you can probably guess that thar aint no quietin these things down; you can only make em LOUDER!
Rapid

DennisG01
04-02-2004, 15:53
Power Service "Diesel Kleen" additive. I don't know if it will help at start-up as I always start it from inside the house, but it is quieter once it has warmed up.

KingNuzz
04-02-2004, 16:45
Art there any under-hood insulation pads on the market? That might help slightly...

chickenhunterbob
04-02-2004, 19:10
On my 1994, everwhere in the engine bay except the rad and oilpan is covered with an factory blanket of sorts, like a 3/8 in thick pad.

If you have none of this (presuming the intended purpose of this stuff is in fact for noise) then you may want to check with GM for replacement, others may be able to better comment on how much difference this may make.

I know what you mean, I live in a city residential area on a de a cul-de-sac and when I go see what them turkeys and geese are up to, I am up and away a long time before any of the neighbors are out of bed.

I idle out with the windows down, radio off. The noise at that time of day sounds pretty good to me, no sound of lawnmowers or skill saws and such to distract from the symphony that is GM diesel rattle. http://floridasportsman.com/art/driving.gif

kowsoc
04-03-2004, 06:29
On my 94 if you cycle the ignition switch twice, the truck starts and idles at a slow idle....much more quiet. Give the engine a full glow cycle then switch off then on and start. I let it idle like this for a minute or so then bump the throttle and the PCM puts the fast idle back.

Also, as mentioned PowerService Diesel Kleen because of the extra cetane, makes the fuel ignite more easily and reduces rattle.

Dezman125
04-03-2004, 09:01
Hi
i know this is off topic.
Kowsoc,where do you get the Power Servce Diesel Kleen in Edmonton. I'v been tring to find it up here,with no luck. I get a lot of stock from Edmonton,mabey one of my suppliers?
Thanks

kowsoc
04-03-2004, 16:38
Yukon, I get the PS at the Road King truck stop just east of the city. It's also available at the Esso card lock on the west end of town. If cost is a concern, the Road King is quite a bit cheaper. I had originally found it by e-mailing the distribution manager for Canada from the Powerservice website...www.powerservice.ca
He should give you all the locations that PS is available...maybe some more convenient for you. Hope this helps. ;)

Dezman125
04-04-2004, 00:16
Thanks Kowsoc
I'll try the e-mail,tried at the Walmart in Whitehorse,but aperantly they can't order any stock. They have to take what they get sent.

patrick m.
04-04-2004, 08:02
stuff called "dynamat" may help, its intended application is to keep outside noises from coming inside.
sound shops, and speed shops will have it.

tom.mcinerney
04-05-2004, 19:32
I think most of noise at idle after start comes directly off motor. VW offerred an option a quieter engine, which i think used cast pulleys instead of stamped...And snow really works!

BigMikeO
04-11-2004, 10:15
That Dynamat stuff sounds like just what I need. They even have some specifically designed to attach to the underside of the Hood. Kind of expensive though, But it may be worth it to keep the wife from complaining. She actually tried to put towels up in the windows one night to stop the morning rattle, didn't work though. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info,
Mike