PDA

View Full Version : factory ODLO switch

Buck
01-24-2003, 21:01
GM offers a ODLO switch for our trucks Part number 15174508. I haven't seen it but the instructions say that it goes next to the air bag switch. Interesting.....However, on the last page it states "Addition of 5th gear lockout switch is not a warrantable repair." So GM knows its a problem in some cases :confused:

mdrag
01-24-2003, 21:06
Buck,

I wonder if GM's statement "Addition of 5th gear lockout switch is not a warrantable repair" is meant to mean that the cost of the ODLO switch/installation is not paid for under warranty. If you want it - you pay for it :confused:

Buck
01-24-2003, 21:13
That is my understanding, but I think they should cover it under warranty. Why build a towing rig with no overdrive lockout :confused: ? Tow/haul doesn't solve all the problems. Well, at least they got it right in the 03's.

bluenote
01-25-2003, 07:38
I was in yesterday to get a couple of small items fixed while still under warranty and asked about the ODLO. This dealer had not had a request for one yet, but did have the bulletin on it. I've talked to a couple of people with the allison and they hadn't heard about the ODLO...of course, they don't have the benefit of this forum to find out about these kind of things.

In my case, the service manager said "go ahead and order the parts, we'll warranty it, it's a drivability issue."

On the other hand, the service manager is a good friend of mine, so maybe he's just cutting through the red tape for his favorite customer. :D

AnTKoch
01-30-2003, 00:20
Was wondering where you read about this switch? When I look up the part number all it says is switch and the stealer doesn't have a clue what this switch does and there is no return on electrical parts. This switch sounds like the ticket for me please let me know

GMC D-Max
01-30-2003, 09:14
On gmpartsdirect.com the switch lists for $87 and sells for $50. No description as to what it's for, however. I'd still like to see some way of
retrofitting the '03 shifter mounted switch to the '01-'02 trucks. I'm sure there's a controller that needs to be installed as well.

RVGuy
01-30-2003, 09:44
The best ODLO solution in my opinion is the Juice.
tongue.gif tongue.gif

GMC D-Max
01-30-2003, 09:49
Sorry, I've got the Juice, and it doesn't lock out OD for some reason. Must be a problem with the programming?
;) tongue.gif ;)

Tom Ellis
01-30-2003, 13:41
This is off of the GM TechLink Publication Dated July 2002:

Allison LCT1000 M74 Automatic Transmission
5/4/5 Shift

Tom Ellis
01-30-2003, 13:52
I also just found this on the TechLink Site under the bulletins section. This is from the February 2003 edition.

02-07-30-051; Transmission Shifting In and Out of 4th and 5th Gear (Hunting) When Pulling/Carrying a Load, Unable to Manually Select 4th Gear (Install 5th Gear Inhibit Switch); 2001-02 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra with 6.6L Diesel or 8.1L Gas Engine (VINs 1, G -- RPOs LB7, L18) and Allison Auto Trans (RPO M74)

Tom

Rebel_Horseman
01-30-2003, 14:09
The way the previous 2 posts read, this is more of a repair to a stupid design. Getting the ODLO switch installed would be nice. IS this covered under warranty? Should the local stealer be able to do this for me under warranty?

Reb [><]

AnTKoch
01-30-2003, 19:16
My question was back to Buck to find out where he had read that this particular switch mounted next to the airbag switch in the dash? I found it on GMPartsDirect.com as well but it only says "switch" doesn't mean much to me to spend $50 to find out if it's the right switch or not. Would like to mount a factory looking switch in that area of the dash whether that switch does it or if someone knows of a factory switch that fits into that location that will work.

smile.gif

Buck
01-31-2003, 02:22
I asked my tech about ODLO and he printed me a copy of the instructions. "Transmission shifting in and out of 4th and 5th gear" (Tom Ellis's 2nd post)

Diesel_Lawyer
01-31-2003, 13:16
what about in a crew cab which do not come with airbag switches? where does switch mount?

BigAl
01-31-2003, 14:43
Rebel_Horseman,

Go to your stealer, tell him you are unhappy and that you want the ODLO installed at no cost to you. If he balks, ask him to get the area GM guy involved, cause you are VERY UNHAPPY, and want it installed at no cost to you. If the area GM guy balks, follow the Customer Satisfaction process which is listed in the back of your Owner's Manual, and tell them (the Factory) you are VERY VERY VERY UNHAPPY, and considering tradin' the thing for one of them new-fangled 2003 F___s.

I got a hunch you'll get your ODLO for free! :cool:

[ 01-31-2003: Message edited by: BigAl ]</p>

Modified
02-02-2003, 08:23
The switch, GM # 15174508, works great for the ODLO. I installed mine in my 2002 extended cab with the air bag keyswitch, in December. This switch snaps right in to the "assessory switch housing", left of the air bag keyswitch, with the factory look.
The switch is a momentary pushbutton, with a green light, (maybe LED), and has three wires long enough to reach the TCM. The light is lit when ODLO is enabled. When the truck is turned off, the ODLO is automatically disengaged.
I wired my 12 VDC supply from the Relay Block Body, (located to right of Parking Brake Mechanism), connector #4, pin E, using terminal 12110844, as dirrected per GM document # 1206527.
I saw one 03 truck which now comes standard with the ODLO, and I believe the instrument panel is different. When you enable the ODLO on these, a light goes bright on the instrument panel. It seems you need to depress the Tow/Haul button up to four times, to get the combination of Tow Haul or Normal, and ODLO engaged or disengaged. It wouldn't seem to me that we could modify our 01's or 02's to use to Tow Haul button, but maybe it could be done.
I also have the Juice and four in Monster exhaust, which alone is probably the best thing I could have done to reduce the tranny shifty buisness. I thought the ODLO would be a nice feature to have, when you want it, like pulling our 9K fifth wheel through the mountains, or possibly driving snow covered highways up here in Wisconsin. Time will tell.
I paid $50 for the switch, and the Dealer charged me $60 for the TCM programming. My Dealer had never heard of the switch, or the TCM reprogram. After about a week, the parts guy found the switch and the installation bullitin, Document ID # 1206527, or # 02-07-30-051. I believe the TCM reprogram is done with bullitin # 02-07-30-032.

dave p
02-02-2003, 18:56
had my lock out switch installed last fall and the dealer charged me $238.00 it really helps when towing, and should have came standard from the factory. who ever was responsible for this screw up did not know any thing about towing. gm actually snuck it through, it was no where in the literature and the salsman claims he did not know about it. this is the first vehicle i have evere owned that did not have a selector for every gear in the transmission. davep :cool:

RonDMax
02-03-2003, 16:28
Is this ODLO a option on the 2K3's.....or is mine just hiding from me?

Rebel_Horseman
02-03-2003, 16:54
Ron:

From what I understand it's standard on the '03's. On our trucks there's no such luxury. Looks like when I do decide to bring my truck back to the stealer I'm going to "ask" politely for the ODLO upgrade as mentioned as well as the PCM/TCM reprograms that I asked for but never got.

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

RonDMax
02-05-2003, 21:59
I found it this morning LOL duh if you just push and release the tow/haul button it is just that tow/haul...but if you hold it in the a second it turns off overdrive.....funny that big O with the d and a slash in it never registered before....in my behalf I have only had this truck for 3 weeks and havent pulled anything yet so didnt even think to look at the tow/haul button. LOL

Guess i should update my profile but dont have time now LOL

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: RonDMax ]</p>

Rebel_Horseman
02-06-2003, 08:43
Ron:

Your sig says your truck is an '01 right? You have the O/D off capability uysing your tow haul button? I'm going to go check mine and see if it does it too but I thought it was only on the '03 trucks.

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

sonofagun
02-06-2003, 15:53
BigAl,

Sounds like (as usual) you've got a pretty good idea of what will happen if we follow your advice on this switch. I called my dealer and they wanted $400 to do the work. I'm gona give your suggestion a try and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the input. $400 is outlandish for something that should have been there in the first place.

Bob

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: son of a gun ]</p>

3-Fan
02-07-2003, 06:39
Modified,

So the switch (GM # 15174508) that you buy comes with everything you need besides the 3 terminals (GM# 14284913)? Or do I also need to buy the 10K ohm resistor also?

BTW, asked my dealer about it and he wanted only $450 :eek: :eek: !!

fordpuckettjpuckett@tampa
02-07-2003, 08:02
I just recieved my OLO switch from Gm parts direct Cost $50.00 plus shipping.

The alaaskan kid.

-

Subject: My Dura-MaxDiesel

VIN# 1GTHK29182E242061

Summit White 2002 SIERRA 2500 HD 4WD Extended Cab SLT
Duramax Alison Long Bed
G80 Locking Rear Differential
Dual Alternators
Heavy Duty Trailering Equipt
Electronic Shift Transfer Case
Electric Rear Window Defogger
Polished Aluminum Wheels
Off Road Skid Plate
Ext Electric Heated Mirrors
Wiring Provisions For Camper
A.R.E. CH Cab High Cap With Glass Windoors
Line X Spray in under Rails Bed Liner
Full Carpet Bed Rug
DTA Chrome Plated Stainless Running Boards
DTA Front & Rear Mud Flaps
Tail Gate Lock
56 Gallon Transfer Flow Fuel Tank & Fast Fill Neck
Futomo Drain Valve
Invinca-Shield
Jordan Ultima Brake Controller
Xm radio
Vent Shades
Under Seat Storage Box
Ziebarted
Color Matched Front Catch All Mats
Garman Street Pilot
Amsoil Two Stage Air Filter
Amsoil Lubricants All the wayus freight.

DMAXMO
02-07-2003, 15:50
Does anyone know the GM part number for the switch that fits a crew cab without the airbag overide switch? All I have in that location is a small storage bin. Would this kit also include a trim bezel for this application.
Thanks in advance,
B.D.

Wildcat
02-12-2003, 21:51
Do any of you have a pic of the GM OD lockout switch installed next to the airbag switch I could see before I buy one?

Thanks

motovet
03-16-2003, 03:39
I want to know about the placement on the crew cab switch also. I am getting one from my dealer (warranty),but want to run the wires myself while I run some other stuff I am working on. So... is there a switch made for us crew cabbers?

motovet
03-16-2003, 12:14
I am going to run some wires today.I know someone has had a dealer install with a crew cab. I assume it is going in the blank pocket space???

bluenote
03-16-2003, 20:13
I just had this installed last week by my dealer at NO CHARGE! In my CC truck, they installed it to the right of the climate controls, so I lost a convenient cubby-hole. Oh well, I've tried it out and it works like a charm, but I haven't had the chance to use it when towing yet. Here's a link to a pic of it, however, this was taken in a dark garage, so the focus is bad with some wash from the flash.

http://mail.chartermi.net/~bluenote/allison5thlockout.jpg

BigLakeDMAX
03-16-2003, 21:16
I have yet to add the ODLO in to my truck yet, but it's next on the list. For the crew cab guys - there's a switch opening housing and cover that is available to mount switches in the cubby hole in the dash - visible in Bluenote's photos. Part #'s are 15734687 for the cover (2 needed), and 15040483 for the housing. Then, the switch, LED and resistor if preferred, and the connectors for the TCM (same as ECM connectors). This info is in Modified's post. It's also available, along with install instructions, on this thread:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003629&p=

And, John Kennedy provides install instructions with pictures in the tech info section of his website. www.kennedydiesel.com

Alaaskan Kid: Is the switch in Bluenote's picture the one listed by part number earlier in this thread that you ordered?

motovet
03-17-2003, 01:52
Thanks guys.I already knew the part numbers,but didn't know the mounting location or what the switch looked like. My dealer is doing their first install this week and the only one he had for me to look at was the air bag location switch, and though the parts are ordered (free of charge), they did not know what the crew cab switch looked like either.Bluenote,thanks for the pic. Do you know if the switch part has any flange to it for flush mounting somewhere else? I think I want the pocket space for my back pressure guage and will run some wires for the dealer to the overhead console. Or...I can't seem to decide where to put the brake guage.

fordpuckettjpuckett@tampa
03-17-2003, 05:05
Yes its the same one .comes mounted in dash plate that goesin next to air bag switch.

..........................The Alaskan Kid

My Dura-MaxDiesel -- 2000 Harley -Davidson Fat Boy (Perlescent White & Chrome)
Member # 5293 Member since October 2000
VIN# 1GTHK29182E242061

Summit White 2002 SIERRA 2500 HD 4WD Extended Cab SLT
Duramax Alison Long Bed
G80 Locking Rear Differential
Dual Alternators
Heavy Duty Trailering Equipt
Electronic Shift Transfer Case
Electric Rear Window Defogger
Polished Aluminum Wheels
Off Road Skid Plate
Ext Electric Heated Mirrors
Wiring Provisions For Camper
A.R.E. CH Cab High Cap With Glass Windoors
Line X Spray in under Rails Bed Liner
Full Carpet Bed Rug
DTA Chrome Plated Stainless Running Boards
DTA Front & Rear Mud Flaps
Tail Gate Lock
56 Gallon Transfer Flow Fuel Tank & Fast Fill Neck
Futomo Drain Valve
Invinca-Shield
Jordan Ultima Brake Controller
Xm radio
Vent Shades
Under Seat Storage Box
Ziebarted
Color Matched Front Catch All Mats
Garman Street Pilot
Amsoil Two Stage Air Filter
Amsoil Lubricants All the way

On order
Banks giant 4" Staineless Banks Computer Controlled Exhaust Brake (Arrived Today)

Jomar
03-17-2003, 21:35
ODLO parts are on the way. The dealer printed out GM doc.#1206527 which tells what parts are needed and how to install them. I checked out everything on my truck and it all seems like it will fit just like the instructions say. I`m going to install it myself since it`s not covered under warranty. Some guys are just lucky I guess!
The only head scratching I did was trying to find the TCM. Who would have thought to look on the radiator fan housing. Anyway the parts mgr. gave me a gray hair discount on the parts and it was only $4.00 more than gmpartsdirect. Kind of anxious to see how it works. Oh yeah, I stopped in at the local F--d dealer today and drove one of the new 6.0 diesels ( a loaded Lariat ) and I was not impressed in the least. If there`s any additional power over the Dmax, it will take a rear end more sensitive than my to detect it. I really have doubts that it could get ahead of my Dmax, not that I care anyway.

bluenote
03-20-2003, 06:16
Just an update to my "no charge" dealer install of the ODLO switch. I talked to my buddy, the service manager this week, and upon further research, he did find out that it was not supposed to be covered under warranty. This was the first one of these installs their dealership had done, so they weren't originally clear on how it was handled. He spoke with whatever powers that be in GM's warranty billing area, and I understand that they covered it. However, the next customer who shows up there to have it done won't be able to get the freebie. :(

Modified
03-20-2003, 21:14
Jomar :

Have you considered installing the Fast Idle mod? If so, install this at the same time you're installing the ODLO. Half of the work is getting the wires through the firewall. Fast Idle only needs one more wire.
See additional info at:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005109&p=

motovet
03-21-2003, 01:31
Seems I am that next customer. I was told today the parts are on me. He did try to get me covered, but was told NO WAY by the rep. That sucks! Definately GM's weakness.

[ 03-21-2003: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

GMC-2002-Dmax
03-21-2003, 01:54
I Have a Crew Cab as well.

I had some help from the "chevyhdman" AKA - Bill on Tuesday installing my HI-Idle and OD Lockout.

It is basically very,very easy. Once the TCM and the ECM are removed and the 4 wires hooked up the rest is a cake walk.

As JK's web site instructions state, the 3 wires go to the TCM and a single wire to the ECM. All you have to do is get 2 switches and power from the fuse box and that's it.

I hooked up the HI-Idle temporarily just to check that it functions and it does. I had already had the reflash for shift busyness so I do not know if the OD lockout was part of the update I got.

I am in the process of tracking down a couple of switches as I do not want to lose my Cubby Hole next to the heater/AC controls.

When I finalize the install I will post PICS.

My total cost with 2-100/ft. 18ga spools of wire ( Red and Black ) and ECM/TCM connectors ( GM 10pk ) was under $25.00. The only thing else I will need will be switches. I did purchase 2 switches and LED's from Radio shack for under $10.00, but am not going to use them. I have another company I am looking at instead.

GMC ;)

[ 03-21-2003: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

Jomar
03-21-2003, 20:33
Hey Modified, thanks for the info. I`ll give it a shot.

Jomar

motovet
03-22-2003, 14:05
Well now that I have to foot the bill for the parts I went to pick them up and have the ECM and TCM updated. They had everything BUT the connectors. I wanted to do the upgrades anyway while I was there but was told the switch must be installed before the updates to work. Something about needing to read the new pin locations to be affective? Is this B.S. or not?

huntindog
03-22-2003, 17:00
motovet
It's B.S. I had my updates done first, then installed the switch.

motovet
03-22-2003, 17:37
Thanks...what I thought.