PDA

View Full Version : Allison Fluid Change

ccds
01-24-2003, 07:15
I remember reading somewhere how one of the DP member changes the fluid on the allison by running a hose into a container of transmission fluid and starting the engine and letting the engine pump the old fluid out and sucking the new fluid so it completely changes the fluid in the system. I have searched all the forums but dam....I can't find who it was and the instructions he gave to do it. All I remeber is he said he does it his way all the time.

I did find Hoot's flush instructions but they aren't the one's I remember......they are a help though...thanks Hoot.

Thanks

smile.gif

SteveO
01-24-2003, 11:00
It was probably me...I have not seen how Hoot (Mike) changed his fluid so I will tell you how I do it...

1: Drain Fluid>> Preferably into a measured container.
2: Replace Spin-on filter. Make sure to clean Magnet on top of filter and install on new filter.
3: Install NEW fluid.. I normally install about 2-3 more quarts than I drained out..
4: Remove the "FROM COOLER" line at transmission.. It has a plastic cover over top of a clip, the clip comes out from the side.. Install a short piece of hose run into a bucket.. Two people work great for the next step.. Start truck up, you should be able to see a difference in the color of the OLD fluid and the NEW fluid.. When it changes, cut truck off and reinstall cooler line.. Start truck up and fill to proper level.. Test drive and check fluid level (AND FOR LEAKS) after hot...

[ 01-24-2003: Message edited by: SteveO ]</p>

ccds
01-24-2003, 20:08
thanks Hoot & SteveO

appreciate it...

smile.gif

LA DMAX
01-24-2003, 20:49
hoot & SteveO,
Will that method also drain the torque converter fluid out as well? I'm planning on doing the transynd flush in the next month or so and I wasn't sure if the conveter fluid would get changed or not. Thanks for posting these priceless tips, they are greatly appreciated!

LA DMAX

mdrag
01-24-2003, 21:13
As per Kennedy - another use for a remote start (if you have one) for the engine ON/OFF step, then you don't need an assisstant or have to run back and forth...

Derek M
03-09-2003, 16:15
If you use SteveO's transmission drain procedure, how many quarts of fluid should I have on hand to put back in?

Thanks

TooMuchMuscle
03-09-2003, 18:25
LA Dmax... I too am planning on a tranny fluid change and noticed you wanted to also. I live over in La Canada. We ought to meet up and work it out together. Shoot me an email and lets take care of business.

reland@cagop.org

--Robert

LA DMAX
03-10-2003, 23:09
Robert, no problem, check your email.
Later

LA DMAX