PDA

View Full Version : A/C Problem

c130herc
01-23-2003, 10:50
I know its winter but this has been a problem I have had since I bought the truck.
My A/C will stop blowing cold intermittently when at idle. Dealer has had it 4 times for this and cannot find the problem; of course it will not do it when I take it to them.
The compressor clutch is engaged when it does this and it takes about 10 to 15 min to start blowing cold again only after I start driving again. Dealer said bring it back after winter.
02 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Has anybody else had this problem?

MaxRock
01-23-2003, 15:17
I read your post in the member's area about the problems you are having. None of these are normal. I also live in the North Texas area. The dealer I purchased my truck from is great...no BS. If you live north of the DFW area, or are willing to drive a little, let me know and I will send you the information. You can email me at mark.rock@att.net.

Sorry for problems you are having. There is nothing worse than having a new toy that is not working properly.

This board is awesome and is a great place to do research.

Good Luck,
MaxRock

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: MaxRock ]</p>

JimWilson
01-23-2003, 15:58
Last night it was almost 20 below zero outside. I don't want to hear about any stinking A/C problems right now... :D :D

battmain
01-23-2003, 21:00
Check your AC filters. Mine did that once on a 90 degree day. I was not a happy camper since I was in business clothes and it was HOT!. The following weekend, I cleaned out a lot of leaves from the filter and it hasn't happened again. Someone also posted a while back that the AC line was rubbing somewhere and showed pics on the problem. May have been Mdrag?

c130herc
01-25-2003, 10:03
Thanks for the replies, I know its cold but I will probably go over my warrantee mileage before it gets fixed. The rubbing and leaves I will check but it started doing it after I put about 200 miles on it and I live 130 miles from the place I bought it.
I did call GMC corporate and they will not authorize a longer warrantee on the AC because they cannot verify that it has a problem.
The service manager told me yesterday that he would cover it for up to 40k miles.
I go in Tues. to drop it off.
Thanks again.

BTW mine started doing it on a 105 degree day. Leather seats and no AC :eek:

renchtwstr
01-25-2003, 18:50
Hi,
I have been a GM tech for 10 yrs.. The complaint you have about your a/c is one I address on a daily basis during the summer on the new body style trucks. It's been my experience that the low pressure cut out switch is the culprit. Some people call this the clutch cycling switch. Your a/c does not cycle like the older systems...that is why they changed the name of the switch. It is mounted on the receiver/dryer on the right hand side next to the firewall. About your injector problem, I would like you to e-mail me your complaint that led to the injectors being replaced. I am one of few duramax technicians in the OKC, OK area. My e-mail is renchtwstr@cox.net.

mdrag
01-25-2003, 21:43
battmain,

Correct. I posted many months ago about the A/C line rubbing on the edge of the intercooler on my '01. I discovered the problem while installing Kennedy's HD light harness.

Remove the plastic radiator cover and inspect the passenger side of the intercooler to see if the A/C line is rubbing. I have a few pics of this area on my '01. Choose the first link in my sig, then the first album - should be the first two pictures.

I doubt that this would be causing the problems c130herc describes - if the A/C line rubbed through then the freezy stuff would all leaky out... :eek:

c130herc
01-26-2003, 09:01
renchtwstr, I will tell them what you said. I did not have an injector problem. I thought the code was for fuel temp but I called the service mang. and he said it was fuel pressure caused by not having the fuel cap tight enough.
I grew up in Guthrie OK, still go up and visit every few years.
Once again thanks, I will post a reply on what the dealer does. :rolleyes:

pinehill
01-26-2003, 09:45
From previous posts, I understood that fuel filler cap tight, loose, or off makes no difference on the 6.6, although it can be a problem on the gassers. Many service departments don't seem to know this.

HESS101
01-26-2003, 21:48
Mdrag,
Took a look at your pics and all I can say is "Awesome". Can you tell me how you did the SPA guage set up? I knew there was some way to use that worthless cubby. Went to the dealer and they can not find a flat cover, so I assume you fabed yours. Also your switches, where did they come from? Wow!
Thanks,
Steve

mdrag
01-26-2003, 22:15
HESS101,

Thanks for the compliments. I used a piece of Plexiglas cut to fit and then painted with black crinkle paint. The original cubby is used with the back cut off for wire access and entry.

Mounting goes like this (gauge face to inside cubby): SPA gauge, angle ring, Plexiglas, metal single gauge mounting bracket. The single gauge metal mounting bracket is bolted to the top inside of the cubby to hold the gauge/Plexiglas panel to the dash. Filing/grinding of the metal single gauge mount to fit is necessary but it is completely hidden, so appearance is not a concern. The cubby snaps back in normally.

The switches are Cole-Hersee (except for the ODLO switch):

www.colehersee.com

I bought the CH switches from:

www.instrumentsales.com (I don't believe they offer online sales)

Two of my favorites for switches etc.:

www.mouser.com (ODLO switch source)

www.digikey.com

I've enjoyed first class service from all of the above vendors. Good luck.