PDA

View Full Version : Allison Warranty Question

hogbody
01-22-2003, 18:24
I just purchased a 2003 DM with the Allison transmission.

In studying the manual GM says "Notice: We recommend you use only fluid labeled Dexron III, because fluid with that label is made expecially for your automatic transmission. Damage caused by fluid other than DEXRON III is not covered by your new vehcile warranty."

In reviewing the Allison material on this board it says either Dexron or Trans Synd is fine.

I talked to Allison and they said that GM handles the warranty on this transmission since it is in their truck.

Trans Synd sounds better to use and more cost effective over 200000 miles based upon the Allison recommendations, but will using it give GM a way out if a warranty problem comes up.

Or would it be better to run the Dexron until the GM warranty is up....what do the extended warranties say about using the two?

My mind is getting numb from all the decisions and options available......think I'll load the trailer on and go somewhere.

Love my truck. Larry

:D

SteveO
01-22-2003, 18:37
hogbody,

DexronIII is a GM Spec, no matter if it's a Petroleum Base or a Synthetic Base, the oil just has to meet the requirements for that Spec.. As long as the Fluid meets that spec (and says so on the bottle) than it's ok..

With that said, TranSynd Meets the spec.. Has it written on the gallon jug...

Stick around you will find out more about TranSynd smile.gif

One last thing>> If you own a 2003 GMC/Chevrolet 4500,5500,6500 or 7500 with any of the Allison product line and want the 5 Year Extended Trans Coverage there is only one fluid that can be used.. Transynd...
4500 and 5500 Both have 1000 Series just like the 2500HD/3500s...

[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: SteveO ]</p>

hogbody
01-22-2003, 19:13
By george I think I've got it......Dexron is the spec. not the product.

Now on to fuel additives!! Whew.

thanks, larry