PDA

View Full Version : Buying New Truck - What is difference between GMC and Chevy?

Stephen1
01-04-2004, 13:07
I have visited my Chevy dealer and I am planning to buy a new truck. What is the difference between the GMC and the Chevy.

It will be a 1 ton crew cab dually loaded.

Some say there is more sound insulation in the GMC, and better shocks etc. Any truth to these rumors?

Thanks,

Steve

sonofagun
01-04-2004, 16:15
Steve,

It's mostly price and looks. Pick the one that looks best to you. As for the shocks, I would replace them with Bilsteins no matter which unit you buy. The stock shocks are the same and of poor quality in my opinion, especially if you pull or haul any weight.

Good luck,
Bob

moisheh
01-04-2004, 16:50
Apparently there is some difference in the SUV's. The 1 tons are the same. I think one poster siad there was some slight diff. in the interior(lighted visor mirror?). The shocks are identical: USELESS. Everything other than appearance is the same.

bluenote
01-04-2004, 17:09
Chevy and GMC pickups go down the same assembly lines.

Jorday
01-04-2004, 17:34
It basically comes down to which styling you like better.

cowboywildbill
01-05-2004, 14:09
I may be wrong, but it seems that I see more Chevy dealers out there than I see GMC dealers. It could be where I am located and travel. But if you need Factory warranty work done, The two dealers won't do work on the other's trucks. I have heard that if it is an emergency and you are along way from your brand of dealer, that GM might OK the work at either GMC or Chevy. Just a thought.

Stephen1
01-05-2004, 15:49
Thanks everyone. I think I am leaning towards a Chevy. New shocks will come soon after.

Steve

Speedy
01-10-2004, 19:58
I have it from good authority that GMC uses "lock washers", chevy does not... That is straight from the "old timers" from the old days discussions I used to listen to as a kid......

DMAXTODD
01-10-2004, 21:44
The GMC'S Look better now, compared to Chevy's 03'
and up style,just IMHO

jobbie
01-11-2004, 09:25
what bluenote said is correct.
they all come down the same line.
the only difference will in the front facia and badgings. the interior will have some slight differences also.
GM doesn't put anything different like the lock washers on one verses the other model because it looses commonality. then they would need more stations and people to assemble them.

HD-Nate
01-12-2004, 10:54
Originally posted by bluenote:
Chevy and GMC pickups go down the same assembly lines. Which means???????

Corvettes go down the same lines but there is a big difference in a Z06 and a Coupe.

I will agree that the only difference that I can tell is the styling. (GMC having the upper hand IMHO :D )

The Envoy's (GMC) and Trail Blazers (Chevy) go down the same line also and their is a big difference between them.

But just because they go down the same line means nothing, they are smart enough to put different options, engines, etc. in them going down the line.

jobbie
01-12-2004, 13:44
yes, corvettes go down the same line as z06's but they are the same make and model just different option codes as far as GM is concerned.
so what is the difference between a 2500 sle and a 2500 slt? just options. the same between GMC's and chevy's just front sheet metal. just like the envoy's and trail blazer's just the front facia and some rear sheet metal. the real difference between trail blazer's and envoy's is that some options are availible on the gmc and not the chevy. some makes even have different standard options. but essentially they are still the same. one vehicle won't have different attaching bolts and nuts than the other unless the option adds something in the area of attachment like speedy was told. ;) GM is very big on commonality between all makes and models. it is much cheaper on them to have 1 shock attachment bolt for all vehicles than 1 for every make and model.