PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on bigger on/off road tires?

rat4go
08-31-2005, 09:49
Hey folks,

After I got done commenting on a post about tires, I got to thinking that many of you probably have upgraded tires from the 245's that came on your trucks like I did. I'm likely going to need another set in the next few months, and I'm interested in feedback from you on what you've found that you like or didn't like from the various manufacturers and various tread patterns.

I'm currently running D-Rated BFG All Terrain T/A KO's in 285/75R16 and I'll probably get better than 60000 on them before I need new ones. I've been fairly happy with them from a traction perspective (dry/wet pavement and in sand, mud, and snow), and I am really happy with the mileage.

Unfortunately, I have about a 3/4 mile drive down a dirt road every day and the gravel these things pick up and then throw at the rockers is murder on the paint. Given how far back the bulk of the stone chips are, I'm reluctant to believe that mudflaps would help much unless I got ones that dragged on the ground and looked horrible.

Anyone out there have experiences (good or bad) with tires they want to share. I've hit the tire-rack feedback forum and learned a little on other stuff, but I don't place much stock in tire feedback from someone driving a Ranger - it's too different an application.

Thanks!

jared disterhaupt
08-31-2005, 11:04
I have Nitto TerraGrapplers in 265. I had the bfg kos before these and I like the nittos a little better. They dont look quite as nice(no white lettering) but they are cheaper, not as noisy, and dont throw rocks half as bad. I dont know how long they will last, Ive only had them 3 months. Just my 2 cents

Lawnboy
08-31-2005, 11:46
My old Michelin LTX's, even when new, didn't throw stones that much. You may have to go to a more "street" tire to avoid the large lugs that love the stones.

Bill Moncrief
08-31-2005, 16:52
Hello;
I'm currently running a set of Kelly Safari AWR's in 265 and so far I'm as happy with them as the three other sets I ran on a previous truck and got over 60,000 on each set. Currently have a little under 5000 on these can't wait for snow or at least hunting season to play :D From what I'm told Kelly/springfeild is owned by Goodyear. Both companies came out with a quiet tread :rolleyes: this year was gonna try a set but dealer couldn't get'm in time for a trip wehad planned and I needed new shoes. Oem's Gave up the ghost at 53,000. Hope this helps.
TOWERJAKE

trbankii
08-31-2005, 17:14
I've gotten 50K to 60K out of the BFG All-Terrains while friends have gotten 25K to 35K out of other brands. My current set was just before the KOs came out, so I cannot speak to them specifically. I've been hearing good things about the Goodyear MTRs, though.

DA BIG ONE
09-04-2005, 23:16
I have run Firestone Destination AT's (245/75/16 E), great handling, wear fast & if you get too heavy on the gas it throws little rubber balls and no tire patch on road. Not bad in the stone throwing department. This tire is not really meant for airing down in offroad situations.

GoodYear MT/R's (245/75/16 E) give great all around service/milage, will be damaged from overspeed (been there done that). You have to be on say quarry processed stone road to fling stones, but, stones are everywhere, so it becomes a flip of a coin issue. Are designed to be aired down but w/o bead locks internal/external at low pressure one runs risk of popping tires off wheels. Internal bead locks/run flat inserts are DOT approved, a PITA to balance, however, not as bad as 2 piece wheels but the increased safety levels offset this.
I just purchased 285/75/16 D MT/R's to install on 7"x16" wheels and posed a question to those who have mounted such large tires on 7" even 6.5" wheels to see how tires held up to all around everyday use, little feedback.

Dalmation6
09-05-2005, 05:18
I have the Firestone Destination AT have about 50,000 miles on them. So far i'm very happy with them. I mounted on the factory wheel, slight tire rub from the plastic liner (drivers side) when backing up. Much taller tire LT285/R75/16 than orignal LT245. This tire has a load range of D instead of the E range on the LT245. This Firestone tire rides appreciably better than the Factory LT 245. I have the hypertech programer and reset the speedo. Overall I would buy a second set of these tires. I like the look as well as the ride. Stone issue, haven't really notices any problems, I travel paved and dirt roads equally.

01DMAX
09-05-2005, 16:59
Any insight on bf mud terrain's 285/75/16