PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Drive Shaft

CCR91
08-18-2003, 19:55
My 2001 D/A, longbed/excab, is about to run out of warranty in a few months, I have about 27,000 on it now. (Osama and Saddam keep the miles down on my truck!)

My question concerns the drive shaft. Has anyone not had any problems with the original two-piece shaft? I don't tow heavy loads here in Hawaii and do not notice the shudder unloaded. I towed a 1997 4-dr S-10 Blazer on a trailer (total weight about 6500 lbs?) down the east coast and did not notice a problem. Should I worry?

Only item that has failed was headlight/domelight switch and was replaced under warranty with no hassle. But I think my battery is starting to leak.

Mahalo,
Corey

ChevysRus
08-20-2003, 22:59
My '01 S/B has a 2-piece and no issues yet. Now at 32K and I have same concerns, but S/B was not on the TSB list for a retrofit telephone pole. I think the L/B was on the list as OK to get a 1-piece, but it's been a while since this came up and I may be wrong.

Try the search feature, but most say it doesn't work.

Good Luck

ram/tx
08-21-2003, 17:49
CCR91--Don't know if this will help, but I bought a 2001, same as your's , new in April of 2002 and it already had the telephone pole ( one piece ) drive shaft in it. So they must have been having problems with the two piece shaft or they would not have put the one piece in mine before I bought it. Just some food for thought. Thanks for chasing Osama and Saddam for us. Stay safe and come back home.

mackin
08-21-2003, 19:49
Originally posted by CCR91:
My 2001 D/A, longbed/excab, is about to run out of warranty in a few months, I have about 27,000 on it now. (Osama and Saddam keep the miles down on my truck!)

My question concerns the drive shaft. Has anyone not had any problems with the original two-piece shaft? I don't tow heavy loads here in Hawaii and do not notice the shudder unloaded. I towed a 1997 4-dr S-10 Blazer on a trailer (total weight about 6500 lbs?) down the east coast and did not notice a problem. Should I worry?

Only item that has failed was headlight/domelight switch and was replaced under warranty with no hassle. But I think my battery is starting to leak.

Mahalo,
Corey Are you getting a shudder on start off ??

If so you may be eligible for a one piece driveshaft install ..... There is a TSB avail ...

Mac

CCR91
08-22-2003, 19:50
I don't have a shudder that I notice.; but I don't carry/pull heavy loads. I was just wondering if anyone has not had a problem with the two-piece shaft.

It's not broke so I probably won't fix it.

Thanks for the input.

Corey

HawgGuy
08-25-2003, 20:11
I have a 2001 crew Cab short bed with the 2 piece. No shudder, no problems. I'm stickin' with this rather than let the guys at the dealer start hacking & drillin' my baby.

-bob

Clyde
08-27-2003, 20:41
I have an 03 3500 crew cab w D/A I tow a 7,000 lbs trailer and have a 4000lbs slide in camper the truck shutters a little on tack off like the trans is slipping got almost 8000 miles on it. I knew someone whose trans started out the same as mine and the converter came out and took the crank with it. When he complained to the dealer and directly to GM they said run it. From what I can find out when these trucks are used on the heavy side a lot of problems crop up.