PDA

View Full Version : Went to the Coast and got me some Sun!

BMDMAX
08-18-2003, 12:11
I made the trip down to Ft. Walton Beach and got the Allison upgrade from Suncoast. It was a really nice vacation and the guys at Suncoast really know their business.

My tranny was still in pretty good shape, I only had a few spots on my clutches that were suspect. The install went well and we ran it around town for the test and tune. It took about an hour for the Allison to settle down with the beefed up components and from there it has been shifting very well. I have put about 800 miles on since the install with a good mix of city and highway driving. The shifts are only getting better as the tranny learns.

At light throttle you almost cannot tell anything has been done. Mid throttle feels really solid with good firm shifts and TC lockup is very positive, almost like another shift. Full throttle shifts are strong, the truck will bark the tires on the 1-2 shift with ease which it could not do before. I think a box that does not defuel would make this tranny really shine since even the Hot Juice I have wants to defuel quite a bit for the shifts. (Anybody got some extra tuners they want tested? ;) )

I am very happy with the trans and the crew at Suncoast. I plan to get new 1/4 times for comparison soon. You can see some photos by the link in my signature. :D

king D
08-18-2003, 19:14
very good folks to talk with and do buisness as well.do you know how your torque con stall compares to say joes truck....and how do you like the feel of the tq con down low...jess

SoCalDMAX
08-18-2003, 23:15
That's great to hear!

Please keep us posted as you put on the miles how it holds up, how it shifts under all conditions, any unusual events, etc.

thanks, Steve

tbrowne
08-19-2003, 07:08
If you don't mind my asking - what was the bill for the upgrade?

BMDMAX
08-19-2003, 09:29
The upgrade was 5K out the door. It was a little more than some of the other solutions but in my opinion it seemed like the best one as they were fairly close and the product so far is first class.

The TC is one stout puppy. I have not fully loaded it from a brake stand yet, just some mild powerbraking. It does have wonderfull low end grunt to it and the lockup makes the stock one seem like a tinkertoy. I did not actually ride in Joe's truck so I cannot make a good comparison there.

So far it has shifted well in all conditions. I have not had any odd gear hunting, any bangs or slips, and of course no limp mode. I will keep you all posted on how well it goes as the milage stacks up. :D

heartbeatcanada
08-19-2003, 17:01
BMDMAX

How long did it take them to swap out trannies? Joe is telling me probably a day, but possibly it might go into the second day, as he doesn't likle to rush a job like that(makes me feel better that he takes pride in there product).

Will be making the 20hr drive the 1st or 2nd week in Sept. and don't want to miss too much work as i'm behind now(gotta love being self-employed), and am hoping that it only takes a day so i'd only miss 2 days of work.Anybody up for a gumball race to Fla. :D Later Jeremy

sdaver
08-19-2003, 18:12
Its what I have said all along........jeremy Im going to be in ft walton beach area on labor day weekend give me a buzz.......205 310 7250 Ill buy ya lunch. welcome to the no slip 5th club :D

heartbeatcanada
08-19-2003, 18:27
SDAVER

Will do, if your still there :confused: Looks like as of right now i am going to leave Aug. 31 or Sept.1 and be there either Sept.1 in the evening or Sept. 2 by 8 oclock when they open.

I do know the day they put the tranny in i will be sleeping(maybe in a tranny crate) as im driving 20hrs straight(if the tranny holds together :eek: ) and soon as its done and the test drive is done i'll be heading back north straight threw(hopefully no speeding tickets tongue.gif )Will be a good run to see how the mileage is doing. Later Jeremy :cool:

BMDMAX
08-21-2003, 07:51
Jeremy,

The swap was done in one day. Mine was a 2WD so it goes much easier than the 4WD trucks. The 4WD may run into the second day. The other issue is the test and tune period to get the tranny trained. You just have a hard time finding good roads and no traffic to run the truck through the gears. I budgeted for two days and got the truck back in one. They did a great job with keeping my schedule on track. :cool:

thechevyhdman
08-21-2003, 20:21
Heartbeat, I might take that trip with ya, Of course were gonna(at least me) take within 4 days, All I can tke off is friday saturday and be home before 4 am monday morning LOL my Job(s) SUCK
Leave thursday before midnight..home soon their after. Bill

heartbeatcanada
08-22-2003, 04:31
Thanks for the info guys. I booked my appointment yesterday. I am leaving Sept.7, hopefully be there by 8am Sept 8. Sounds like a good bunch of guys. I told them where i was coming from and they said they would set me up with a pillow in a crate. :D Hope all works out. Later Jeremy