PDA

View Full Version : Sudden missing and smoke

dieseldummy
04-01-2004, 13:08
Hi,
This afternoon I was driving along and coasted into town to the first stop light and all the sudden my pickup began running rough and missing. It was also producing greyish blue smoke, kindof the same color as when you start it when it is really cold outside. I think I may have a sticking injector in one or more cylinders, could this happen all of the sudden like this, or is it something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Justin

gmctd
04-01-2004, 14:03
Could happen when fuel is below 1/4 tank.

Could happen with water in fuel.

Could happen with dirty fuel filter.

Could happen when lift pump stops.

Could happen with dirty air filter.

And, worse - but check those, first.

dieseldummy
04-01-2004, 16:09
3/4 of a tank of fuel
No water in fuel
Fuel filter looks good
Lift pump is on at the command of a toggle switch
New air filter

The only reason I think it might be a sticking injector is that whenever it smokes, it make a pinging like detonation in a gas motor(forgot that part earlier) At 135,000 miles, I figure that they are running on borowed time. The other options I don't even want to think about...
Thanks,
Justin

number two
04-01-2004, 17:23
Mine did the same thing last year,sudden missing and a little blueish-grey smoke. Turned out to be a broken rocker arm retainer allowing the rocker arm to slip off the pushrod. Chased it awhile,finally pulling off the rocker covers and finding one plastic retainer broken on each side-replaced all 16.Caught it with a compression check-should have done that first-back to basics!The offending cylinder only had 100 psi,not 400+
Good luck.

dieseldummy
04-02-2004, 09:25
The problem is only intermitent, so I will try the injectors, I had a set to put in anyways. The rocker retainer is a good theory though and I won't count it out. Thanks for the help.
Justin

ucdavis
04-02-2004, 10:37
If they are new injectors, you need to check the return feed path B4 installing. There have been prior reports of injectors not properly drilled thru for the returns that blow the small return tubes off. Simple to blow thru the returns to assure they are OK B4 installing.

dieseldummy
04-02-2004, 14:20
I think that I should have changed the injectors a long time ago like I intended because I just went out to start it to put it in the shop and it's blowing oil out the exhaust. The last pickup I saw do that had a hole burned in the top of a piston caused by a dripping injector. It now looks like it may require a complete rebuild. This pickup is bad luck, I had it for a week after I bought it and the low band in the tranny broke, in Jan. this year the planetary gearset in the transfercase went out, and now the motor is shot. What a deal...
Justin

Tough Guy
04-02-2004, 16:15
A compression test will tell the tale for sure. Keep us posted as to your progress...

Cheers

dieseldummy
04-03-2004, 11:52
I Took off the intake on the turbo and discovered that the turbo has excessive play from side to side, and that the oil is coming from the seals. I have taken the turbo off and started it. It still misses and after running a few minutes, with the CDR plugged off, oil begins to mist out of any open hole, such as the oil fill. I beleive this to be an indication of excessive blow-by gas and the reason the turbo was ruined... Gotta love to hate these 6.5's...
Justin

[ 04-03-2004, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: dieseldummy ]

Tough Guy
04-03-2004, 17:48
I lost the vacuum pump on my truck a while back, lost all boost and it caused a miss too.

In your case it sounds like "dusting" is a possibility, which is caused by dirt entering the motor by a bad air filter, or cracked/broken airbox or connecting elbow, or poorly fitting air box connections causing excessive accelerated cylinder wear...not good. One of the first signs of this is the blades on the compressor wheel of the turbo begin to "round" or become knicked/chiped which can cause balancing issues and ultimately destroy the seals.

I would get a compression test to see where all 8 cylinders are, then you will know if a rebuilt turbo will solve the missing or if its time to turn that truck into a 300hp beast! Look at this as an opportunity to make your truck the best it can be.

Cheers

dieseldummy
04-03-2004, 17:56
Rounded blades is why I switched the turbo I just took off for the one that came with the pickup. I think that you are right about the poorly sealed airbox. I have taken care to make sure that it was sealed in the time that I have owned it, but it was a farm pickup before I got it... I'm working on making a compression tester so maybe tommorow I will know the answer.