PDA

View Full Version : Got my used motor to swap in

markrinker
04-01-2004, 09:01
Well I bought the Ebay motor/trans. I think it was a good deal, considering the seller is guaranteeing it to be undamaged and I can return it within 30 days if I find any problem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2469943505&category=33615&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

My plan is to have the pan pulled and block inspected. I have also requested that they leave the motor mounts on the block so I can see if they were bent from the impact.

Any other items to add to the inspection checklist? (They all have to be impact related...)

Marty Lau
04-01-2004, 09:40
Mark;
Hope it works for you.....If they can leave all accessories on that would help. If the fan is bent that could be a sign. The more intact the more you can see what may have been hurt.

markelectric
04-01-2004, 15:36
Maybee it is just me and a cheep laptop, but is the drivers side firewall darker due to a fire? If so probably didnt hurt much but seals and gaskets. This looks like a good deal considering all the extras that come with it. Good luck on the transport and install.

tom.mcinerney
04-01-2004, 20:41
Careful examination of the harmonic balancer's outer ring might be warranted, maybe even put an indicator on it to see if any runnout when turn over(if so then check inner ring...). If balancer hit 'head-on' the crank may have been shoved back and cracked a main web. If crank pulley and balancer OK, rotating assembly should be all right. Also cracks in timing cover not nice. good luck. Haven't lost by purchase, a good deal.
You do want assurance that transport will be safe.

panchosteam
04-01-2004, 23:45
Hi,maybe i can buy the air intake system if you don't need it.
1984 GMC SIERRA CLASSIC WITH 1996 6.5 TD ENGINE AND HEATH'S TURBO MASTER.

markrinker
04-02-2004, 10:27
I just got off the phone with the shop that is pulling the motor. They put the agreement for my ability to return (at their expense) everything if it doesn't pass damage inspection on my end. They are knowledgable and certain that the motor/trans is good.

Also negotiated purchase of 4.10 dually rear (I have single rear), springs, Alcoa rims and rubber for $600...one outer rim is damaged when truck spun around after first impact. The truck hit a brick wall...

DmaxMaverick
04-02-2004, 11:10
You should have bought the whole truck. Sounds like you gonna' get it all eventually anyway.

markrinker
04-05-2004, 08:39
I tried to - but it would have been a hassle to ship as it no longer was a 'roller'.