PDA

View Full Version : Crew OR Ext. Cab?

Ltrainracing
08-17-2003, 13:35
For those that gave me previous help thanks allot i really appreciate the help. My local dealer "Bergey's" brought in a black 04 crew cab loaded for me to see. I love the truck but am affraid the size is going to make daily driving a pain. I am going to either order a 2004 Extended cab or buy the crew cab they have on tuesday, so any opinions or info would be really helpful.

P.S. Pics of your trucks with either crew or ext cab would really be apreciated. thanks Ltrainracing@yahoo.com

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-17-2003, 14:10
Ltrainracing

I guess for me the choice was easier, I had an Extended Cab and with 3 kids and it just was too cramped plus if you are just going out someplace with friends nothing beats the Crew Cab for room.

Cost difference is negligable, you get roll down windows in the crew for the rear passengers, it's the same wheelbase for an extended cab dooley and crew cab single wheel shortbed which is what I have.

If you are towing a huge trailer I can see a dooley or if you are in need of an 8' bed if not I can see my truck pulling and carrying almost anything I want it too.

It just depends on your situation.

Good Luck to you,

GMC ;)

FirstDiesel
08-17-2003, 14:13
I have had 2 previous trucks and still have 1 of them in addition to my 3500. They are S10 extended cabs. The back is useless. I tell you this because I looked at the extended cab 3500 and decided that since I needed this to be a "family" everyday "car" the backseat was useless too even though the truck is much bigger. We bought the CC LB 3500. It takes a little planning in parking lots. I have to avoid downtown garages and downtown parallel parking spots. Otherwise we use it to do everything. The wife, all 5'2" of her, drives it to work on occasion and has no issues.
We went to the Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg VA with it and when we pulled up the attendant that comes to the car to open the doors looked at it and said "This is the biggest truck I've ever seen". So we parked it next to the Bimmers and Porsches and went in! smile.gif

If you expect to put people in the back on a regular basis get the CC. If you use the back for inside dry storage get the Extended.

The other option is to order a CC SB.

roegs
08-17-2003, 14:31
My family and I love our CC, short box. Its my second one, and its all I plan to have for a while. Yep, they are a little longer, and I usually end up parking a little farther out, but its so nice to have a full back seat. My 73 year old mom rides in back with us, and says she really enjoys all the room.

FisHn2DMax
08-17-2003, 15:37
Ltrainracing,
After owning almost all the different truck configurations, by far the best overall ( driveability vs truck use) combo is the Crew Cab Short bed. My second choice would be the Extended cab Long bed.

Resale is best with a Crew Cab!!! From what I've seen on the new and used truck lots, the slowest moving combo is the standard and extended cab S.B.'s. If you order the Extended cab, go with the Long Bed! If you look at the Spec's of the CC SB and the Ext LB, they're are very close in total length. The longer CC LB reduces the daily "around town" drivability/ parking.

It all depends on your truck hauling needs and number of people you need to accomodate. For me, the CC SB allows me to pull my 5'er, haul all the kids to school, and not think twice about fitting/parking at the local mall.

Good Luck!

MadDuraMax
08-17-2003, 16:08
Lt,

I had an '89 LB, Ext cab, nice truck. Problem was if I had much I wanted to keep anything dry and 3 had passengers WTF. Next investment was a cap for the truck, got older and hated climbing in for everything I needed, passengers still hated the back seat for more than an hours drive.

Bought the CC, LB, dooley last year and love it. All those concerns about driveability and parking are 98% BS (yeah that means all of ya that warned me not to buy it). After 4 to 6 weeks of parking out back and getting used to the extra 18 to 24" I was parking and going everywhere I used to without much additional tought.

I love the extra space and comfort for my passengers. For a quick nights camp, I can fold down the rear seat and sleep my hon. and me reasonably comfortably without pulling the TT.

Hate to be the nay sayer on this thread, but I've owned both and do not regret my decision one bit.

Mark

BlueOx03
08-17-2003, 18:52
I went with the Crew Cab for many reasons, many of them are stated above. I'll give you some other reasons. With the extended cabs being much bigger these days, I think think the space isn't such a big factor. The back doors are easier to open in a tight area. One the I really don't like about the ext cab doors is piece of mind, watch that back door when you close the front one. The way that the back one moves just doesn't sit well with me. I'm not saying that there weak, just throwing out my observation and opinion. A big benefit of the CC is the fold down seats, open up both trucks and compare, there's a big difference. I'm 6'4" and I've slept in the back with the seat down on an air mattress. Last but not least, if you get the biggest truck you can, you'll be lest likely to want to turn around in a year and want a bigger payment, err truck.

TJ

chevmeister
08-17-2003, 20:23
I have no probs parking anywhere. Then again my other dialy ride is a mack truck.

Turbo Al
08-18-2003, 00:38
testing

JEBar
08-18-2003, 04:46
A 3,000 mile trip with 4 adults in an extended cab put us in a cc ... don't ever want to do that again!! Parking can be a problem but have yet to desire to go somewhere and not been able to find somewhere to park. Have had to walk from the back of the parking lot but doing so is well worth the comfort of traveling in our new cc ... Jim

Mike Fultz
08-18-2003, 08:02
My '03 Chevy 2500HD, D/A, CC is my first crew cab I have owned, as well as my first diesel anything. I don't think I will go back to anything smaller. The CC is great, the family and friends fit in it and when I travel alone I can get all my stuff in the back seat. Parking can sometime be tough, but I always find something in the back of the lot and I need the excercise. Go for the CC, is my vote!!!

HD-Nate
08-18-2003, 13:46
I think the point has been made but I'll throw my .02 cents worth in anywho.

Go with the Crew Cab, I wouldnt care if it was a $1000.00 extra option, I would get it. My last truck was an extended cab. Although it was nice for kids or small adults, I would not want to ride back there on a long trip. CC windows roll down and do so remotely.

My '97 Extended did not have head rest and this always bothered me if someone was in back. If we were rear ended they would smack their head through the glass or have one hell of a knot on the back of their head.

Best reason..........they just look tuff ;)

Cliffee
08-19-2003, 17:04
Definately go with the CC. I have a CC short bed and the backseat room is awesome. The CC is only 11 inched longer than the Ext Cab.

NewEnglandDmax
08-19-2003, 20:38
This is my 1st truck and I am kicking myself daily in the A$$ for not getting the CC. Get the CC.

MAV
08-19-2003, 20:42
I would gladly trade anyone for a cew cab. There just were not any avaliable when I purchased 1.5 years ago.