PDA

View Full Version : Olds Diesel to 6.5 conversion

vernon morgan
12-22-2003, 20:06
I have recently aquired an 1983 ElCamino with the 5.7 Olds Diesel. I would like to do a conversion to the 6.5 TD or maybe even a 6.2 since I do have one as a spare. The only reason I am thinking about this is because of my lack of knowledge with the 5.7. Has anyone done a conversion like this? What would it take to do a job like this? The engine does run, but it won't get out of its own way. Any help would be appreciated. I really can't even find out much info on this motor.

catmandoo
12-23-2003, 06:17
there was someone on here that put a 6.2 in a cady ,can't remember who though,your main problem will be transmission.the chevy and olds have different patterns,but some trans have a dual bolt pattern ,if it has one of those no problem,and you will need all the brackets from the 6.2 accesories.the 6.2 is lots heavier so it will sag in the front.i've always liked the 5.7 the only major problem is breaking head bolts,which in turn take out the head gasket,they are gutless but get great milage,i still have an 83 olds that i use for my back-up road car,when you drive 1200 miles a week that extra mpg adds up in a hurry

EscaladeDiesel
12-23-2003, 08:03
Check and see if your 5.7 is one of the later "Goodwrench" engines GM used to replace the weaker blocks. In 1983 the engines and blocks were much better than in 78-80. If you engine is running well, I'd just drive it till need major work, who knows, it may last a long time as-is.

5.7L oldsdiesel
12-23-2003, 08:27
I've heard that the olds diesel blocks in earlier yrs(78-80)had main bearing cap bolts that were too short causing failures early on.......but i have'nt had one problem with my 80'diesel.Now approaching the 300,000K mark.......Just using Rotella T and thats all that needs to be done.All in all...i think they are decent engines.Not bad at all. smile.gif

moondoggie
12-23-2003, 10:30
Good Day!

My neighbor's a mechanic. He's installed several (probably ≤ 10) of the later-style 5.7's & never had one come back.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

turbovair
12-23-2003, 10:57
I would think the front susupension might be HEAVILY taxed carrying the weight of a 6.5. I'm not even sure the tires would be up to the task.The ElCamino could become relatively nose heavy with pronounced understeer.Just my .02

vernon morgan
12-23-2003, 16:50
I planned on installing coils from a big block car, that will help some with the weight. They will also make me any rate coils that I need. I just really think it would be a cool conversion. Something different. I know that they came with the T350 transmission so that will hold up to an unmodified 6.5 or mildly modified. Although everytime I say mildly it starts to get out of control. My main concern was the wireing and trans bolting up to the motor. It might actually be a hot ride with out all the extra weight that a full size truck or suv has. If anyone comes across anymore info on this direct them my way.

78Chev
12-23-2003, 17:01
A long time ago I swapped an Olds 350 gas in place of the 5.7D that was in my truck and died. Because the tranny had a BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) bellhousing which is different than Chevy's I went with the Olds to make it easier. A couple of years ago I put a 6.2D in because I wanted it to be a diesel. You can get an adapter kit for about $60 (mine was TCI) to mate up to the BOP tranny, although your 350 might have the dual pattern. The motor mounts are totally different although the brackets that bolt to the frame should have the holes in them for the right mounts (mine did). The wire to the injection pump will work but you'll have to wire in the fast idle and HPCA through a thermal switch on the back of the passenger head. Fuel pump and return should be in the same place. For the glow plug system you'll have to rig something up. To make the swap easier I got a harness out of an 82 diesel and it plugged right into the firewall, with only a couple of changes. The wiring is really pretty simple on these things and easy to modify as needed. Hope that helps. Good luck!
Randy

TurboDiverArt
12-24-2003, 05:32
Originally posted by vernon morgan:
I planned on installing coils from a big block car, that will help some with the weight. They will also make me any rate coils that I need. I just really think it would be a cool conversion. Something different. I know that they came with the T350 transmission so that will hold up to an unmodified 6.5 or mildly modified. Although everytime I say mildly it starts to get out of control. My main concern was the wireing and trans bolting up to the motor. It might actually be a hot ride with out all the extra weight that a full size truck or suv has. If anyone comes across anymore info on this direct them my way. Can't help with the actual conversion. I had a 1978 El Camino I used to transport my quad when I was racing. Since the trails were pretty far back in the woods I needed something with clearance. I lifted my El Camino and fit 30" all terrains under it. I used HD big block 1970 Monte Carlo Air Conditioning springs. When we let the car down off the lift the suspension sagged about an inch. They were WAY too stiff and a real PITA to get the springs in there. It knocked the geometry of the suspension all off. I had to use 1" offset upper control arm posts turned around to try and push the upper control arms out further. Helped but the tires were still slightly tilted inward when sitting. Big block springs are the way to go but going HD BB A/C's from an older, much heavier car is probably too much. Maybe with the added weight of the Diesel engine it'll make it sag more. I had a 350 gasser in it and the suspension was too much. Lots of fun and turned heads but a very harsh ride.

Hope this helps!
Art.

vernon morgan
12-24-2003, 14:23
I think I can make the 6.2 work so now I'm on the look out for a 92 or 93 6.5TD. Who makes the transmission adapter, and where can I get one? I new this was going to get out of control. What the heck everyone needs a new project. Merry Christmas!!