PDA

View Full Version : Headlight wiring harness

JimWilson
12-30-2003, 09:19
Anyone know of another company that makes those headlight wiring harnesses? You know the kind I'm talking about; they not only boost the volts going to the bulbs, but they also allow the lows to remain on when you hit the highs.

I've got one from www.suvlights.com (http://www.suvlights.com) on my truck, and now I want to get one for my wife's SUV. suvlights.com has been jerking me around a bit so I want to see if there are other companies making them too (her truck uses 9007 bulbs). I know about the one from Kennedy Diesel, but IMO they charge too much $$ for it. Do any other companies sell a GOOD harness?

sonofagun
12-30-2003, 18:20
Jim,

I've used Kennedy's unit on two trucks and they are made to work and last as long as your truck does. More Power has done a review of another similiar product. I think Good equals more dollars than the Cheap units that work or not as they choose.

My 2c and good luck,
Bob

Jomar
12-30-2003, 20:58
Jim, there probably are others out there but I don`t think you will find one as good as JK`s. And as the case usually is,you get what you pay for, IMHO.

Jomar

jbplock
12-31-2003, 07:16
Jim,

From what I've seen the JK harness is top shelf. The only way to get the same quality any cheaper would be to build one your self. I'm in the process of doing that but I can tell you I'm not really saving that much (I’m losing money if I consider time spent). By the time you buy all the parts (connectors, relays, wire, fuse holders, bulbs, ect) its not much less than buying the ready-made harness. The main reason I’m rolling my own is that I want to add some switches and also have the fog lights come on with the high and low beams. I’m almost done and will be posting details (FWIW). Another option is to buy a painless performance harness that just turns on the lows with the highs using the existing OE harness. Or, there is also some DIY info on the other (Diesel Place) forum that describes using a diode between BCM inputs to the High and Low beam relays.

smile.gif

JimWilson
01-02-2004, 10:36
Originally posted by Jomar:
Jim, there probably are others out there but I don`t think you will find one as good as JK`s. And as the case usually is,you get what you pay forThat's often the case, but not always. While that harness may be very good, the cost is not realistic IMO. Pieces purchased in bulk, and harnesses manufactured in quantity, should make for discounts by economy of scale.

By comparison, the $50 suvlights harness has never failed me, and seems to be of reasonable quality. That's more like what I'm looking for.

dmaxalliTech
01-02-2004, 20:08
I've got two, maybe three of those suvlights harnesses and would be willing to trade them all for one JK harness, I will pay shipping. I just put a JK harness in a customers truck and pulled out a suvlights harness. No brainer in my opinion. Buy cheap, by twice :rolleyes:

JimWilson
01-04-2004, 11:50
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
Buy cheap, by twice :rolleyes: We'll see -- 15 months and counting, no problems. I'll get back to you in a few years just to let you know if the $100 I saved was worth it. ;)

Kennedy
01-07-2004, 12:47
One thing that I don't see is sealed relays, or overcurrent protection on many of these other kits. Really something to consider...

maxinDixon
01-07-2004, 18:50
VERY satisfied with my JK harness and would buy it again if the need arises.