PDA

View Full Version : New member. Got ?'s

danhercules
12-22-2003, 11:42
Newbie here!!! Lots of good info here. I will be reading for days!!! Glad I found the site.

I have a '97 GMC. 4x4. I recently put large tires on the truck. I noticed a huge diffrence in pulling. Temp also rose quickly. How can I find out what gears are in my truck and what gears to put in?

Also, what are some good power mods? It there a way to turn the boost up a bit? I have a 3.5'' exhuast with no cat. Is there a good "chip" program that is recomeded. I also have a K&N.

I am very new to turbos and diesels.

Cowracer
12-22-2003, 11:58
Well, you have come to the right place. You are about to get a phD in 6.5 disel-ology.

As with any engine, changing the tire size can signifigantly alter final overall gearing. Use the RPO codes listed on the glovebox door to find your factory gearing. There is a RPO Decoder in the member area.

Many people with the 6.5 (myself included) have had great luck with an aftermarket chip. Bill Heath (click here) (http://www.turbo-master.com) or John Kennedy (click here) (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) are the most popular.

First off, get some gauges. At a minimum, you should have a boost gauge and a pyrometer. A trans temp gauge is helpful if you tow a lot.

Everyone here will agree with me. GAUGES FIRST. then, and only then, go for power with a chip/boost control

Tim

danhercules
12-22-2003, 12:15
What is a pyrometer?
I have aslo read somthing like a EGT. Is that an exaust gas temp? Should l have that on now?

What kinda boost is stock? I read the is ok to go around 10 or 12. That sound right?

ucdavis
12-22-2003, 13:04
Pyrometer = EGT = exhuast gas temp = most important piece of operating data on this rig next to basic oil pressure. EGT's too high = diesel death by cracked castings (stick around & you'll read the occasional tear-jerker).
Stock boost is about 5-7 psi; running above that (a '97 requires reprogramming the PCM or adding a boost sensor "fooler" appliance made of resistors) its advisable to pay lotsa attention to cooling. You should have the dual thermostat housing crossover from head to head & high output water pump which is a good start. The Kennedy or Hayden fan clutch is a good addition also to start added airflow to the radiator sooner. Most important is to regularly assure that the space between the AC condenser and radiator is clean so air can flow across fins. Many look at the front & inside of radiator & don't realize there are two radiator-like gizmos there w/a place for bugz-n-stuff to accumulate between. Many of the tear-jerkers have a post-script that owns up to the accumulation there.

danhercules
12-22-2003, 15:40
Dose it matter that I have almost 200k miles on my truck?

HowieE
12-22-2003, 16:06
Open your glove compartment and read the sticker on the door. GT4 is a 3.73 rear ratio, GT5 is 4.10, GU4 is 3.08, GU6 is 3.42 HC4 is 4.56 and HC7 is 5.13

Like they said above don't tow without an EGT guage especialy if you are using oversized tires. As far as the 200K goes get the guages if you want to go to 300k.

Phil Holmen
12-22-2003, 18:07
Seeing as you have a 97 it is not just a matter of changing a chip for more horsepower but a reflash.

danhercules
12-22-2003, 20:38
Originally posted by Phil Holmen:
Seeing as you have a 97 it is not just a matter of changing a chip for more horsepower but a reflash. What is that? What is a reflash? Is that just reprogamming the currnet computer?

Phil Holmen
12-23-2003, 06:48
A reflash is just reprogramming. Most places will just swap you ECM's for the cost of the reflash. However there are a few that I know of that will send your's away to be reprogrammed and you have to wait until it comes back.

danhercules
12-23-2003, 12:04
Is the reprogramming somthing I do myself? Do I have to bring it in somwhere?

Are there any shops that work on the 6.5 near Riverside CA?

POINTERMAN
12-23-2003, 12:11
For mechanical work I use Diesel Tune in Downey.

danhercules
01-07-2004, 07:00
I got my VIN off the glove box door. 1GTGK29F7VE547353

There are a bunch of other numbers and I did not see any that look the same as the gear codes that were given to me above. I dont think I am looking in the right spot. Dose some one have a pic where the code exactly is?

I am running 305/70/16's. I need to know what gears I need to be running.. My speedo is 5mph off when doing 65. It shows 60. My RPM's are about 1700.

danhercules
01-07-2004, 07:34
Also, as stated above, I shoud get gauges. I was looking around, I found all of them, but seperate.

Is there a kit, with the three gauges, wiring, and holder for the gauges?

I am looking for Trans, Pyro, and Boost. Thanks agian for the help.

Marty Lau
01-07-2004, 10:08
Hmm 1700 rpm at 60 mph incicated..... my guess is thats a 3:42 ratio. I switched from 3:73 which produced 1900 rpm at 62.
If your towing a 32 foot fiver that might be a bit much for the gearing and now oversize tires OH MY.......
Like some one said gages first then you might try one of Heaths Turbo Master waste gate controller ($69), you can adjust to get the boost you want. If your boost too high you will start to set codes without a reflash or boost fooler. But you could increase boost until you set a code then back off a bit so it doesn't set codes until you get a reflash. To get more power you need fuel with the additonal air (boost)and that means more heat.

Either Heath or Kennedy should be able to sell you a "kit" of those 3 gauge and mounts.

[ 01-07-2004, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: 16ga SxS ]

danhercules
01-07-2004, 15:15
Ok, I looked at the tach today, Its at 1800 RPM. Dose that make a diffrence?

Lets say I have 3:42. What do I want to put in there? I tow about 12 to 13 thousand pounds.

danhercules
01-08-2004, 11:21
Still lookin for the gear number. Is it in th vin or another number in the glove box?

According to the info above, what should my gears be?

cruzer
01-08-2004, 11:46
There should be a sticker w/a bunch of #'s on the inside of the glove box. At least thats' where mine are.

Marty Lau
01-08-2004, 14:58
12,000 to 13,000lbs towing if you mostly tow I would want 4.10's I would think 3.73 you might make do with but............ I would vist with More Power and get his take. I have pulled 26 & 27 foot bumper pulls with 3.42 ratio in the winter and not very loaded. It did okay but I would think a big fifth wheel. You might also want to post in the towing forum.