PDA

View Full Version : Blinker lights behaving strangely

RustyRoss
08-26-2005, 06:33
On start-up in AM both signal lights on dash light up faintly when brake pedal depressed. Turn signal speeds up when brake pedal depressed???

DmaxMaverick
08-26-2005, 07:08
Two things come to mind. Either you have a bulb out, or a short in the system somewhere. The trailer lighting is relayed, so it shouldn't be the trailer wiring.

If it's under warranty, have the dealer check it out. If not, check all the bulbs. If it only happens in the morning on the first start, you could have a voltage issue, with all the start-up stuff pulling the batt's down. Check the battery connectors, and the battery health. If you have a failing/failed battery(ies), it could cause this, but I haven't seen the signal indicators effected. Battery voltage seems to be very important on these newer vehicles, even on systems that weren't effected on older vehicles.

RustyRoss
09-08-2005, 09:41
Couldn't post for awile due to hurricane damage. I hope someone can help me. Problem started (I think) after I had local shop change fuel tank sender. With headlights off, mashing brake pedal causes BOTH turn signal indicators to DIMMLY illuminate. With turn signal on, mashing on brake pedal causes signal rate to decrease and brake/signal lamps to alternately flash.

trbankii
09-08-2005, 11:20
Sounds like a possible grounding problem - feedback through the other systems rather than to ground. Maybe something was disconnected when the fuel sender was messed with?

RustyRoss
09-11-2005, 16:13
Anybody got any other ideas?

oyazi
09-15-2005, 06:05
You have picked up a ground loop. My daughter boyfriend had detailed her VW (my) car and replace the lamps in the wrong sockets and had blinkers flashing whenever the brake was activated. Caused confusions at intersections w/those wanting to make left turns.

My guess is you're on the right track looking at the recent sensor replacement. These kinds of issues can be tuffys. I'm reluctant to have others touch my stuff. Also, wonder if the BDU (?) needs to be reflashed for those kinds of maint action? Perhaps a tech can offer something more positive for you ~ Until then, I would revisit the fuel sensor R&R. Like did it fix the fuel issue?

RustyRoss
09-15-2005, 06:34
Thanks! Fuel guage works better than new (more accurate). Haven't been able to get anything done yet, to busy recovering from Katrina!