PDA

View Full Version : LLY or LBZ

Skynut
08-26-2005, 05:39
Help for a newbie.
I am about to invest, what to me is, a huge sum of money into my first diesel truck and I do not want to blow it.
This truck needs to last me around 10 years for me to be happy with what it cost.

So here is the deal, I am going to buy a 2500HD c/c 4x4 slt and I was going to order it with the LBZ motor and wait till Nov. to receive my truck.

Now the dealer say he will have a LLY that I can have in 10 days with the employee pricing. Saving around $8,000

It is allmost everything we were going to order but it does not have a couple of trivial options.
It does not have the sunroof, sliding rear window, and it has the dark pewter instead of the light pewter interior.

The main question is should I wait and get the LBZ or settle for the LLY.

Help please.

mdadgar
08-26-2005, 13:39
Originally posted by Skynut:
The main question is should I wait and get the LBZ or settle for the LLY.If you're really going to keep it 10 years, wait and get it EXACTLY the way you want it. You'll kick yourself otherwise.

- Mark

Skynut
08-26-2005, 13:43
Thanks for the input.
I want to wait but the money I will save would make up for a lot of issues.

I am dying to hear some feed back about the LBZ and wether it is an advancement or not.

More Power
08-26-2005, 13:49
The early 2006's I saw appear to have all the exterior engine details announced for the LBZ. I don't yet know if the last of the LLY's are the same as an LBZ, but detuned for emissions reasons, or if they are otherwise identical to the 2005 LLY's on the inside.

Just my opinion, but if there was $2K difference, I'd get the current truck. Also, I'm not a big fan of sliding rear windows.

Jim

mcmonroe
08-26-2005, 14:19
Originally posted by StrangeEngine:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Skynut:
The main question is should I wait and get the LBZ or settle for the LLY.If you're really going to keep it 10 years, wait and get it EXACTLY the way you want it. You'll kick yourself otherwise.

- Mark </font>[/QUOTE]The problem is that they never make them exactly the way you want them - or it may be the way you want it this year but next year they will make changes that you would love to have.

The LBZ is going to be kick butt -- but shortly thereafter they will make an even better version with more power etc. In 2007 they are going to change the body styles -- and who knows -- that might be a big home run too.

On a side note -- it will be interesting to see how much "torque management" they put into the new truck. A 350hp rating isn't much good if you get to use it in one or two gears and only then under certain loads. Jim pull-off will show us the beef.

Frankly I would love to have a 1971-1972 all orginal Super with the factory rallies and two tone paint. A 3/4 tone would be nice too.

Mark

Skynut
08-26-2005, 18:04
The main issue is the money we can save if our dealer can get us the 2006 LLY. around $8,000.00

We have our name on the list for the next one but it is not even built yet and they can not change anything for us nor take our money.
They will not even hold it for us so we may not get it.

I am interested in the opnion of anyone here as to their educated guess how the LBZ will preform?
Will the fuel mileage be better or worse?
POssibly a bad motor in the beginning but better in 07 or 08?
JUst curious as to the input from people who may know since I have never owned a diesel before.

Thanks

mark45678
08-28-2005, 04:38
Skynut I dont think there are many changes to the motor hard parts. read all the stuff Jim has links on. There is a improved water pump, faster computer, slightly differnt turbo,differnt EGR valve , bigger cooling system, differnt injectors (lower operating voltage and flow matched from the factory) , bigger air filter...I own a lly truck ,its ok but I will be waiting for the lbz to hit the street . the Allison has more then just a few improvements so I have high hopes this will be the truck I want to keep..... wished I still had my 2001 gmc LB7 truck!

Skynut
08-28-2005, 09:20
The dealer called last night and managed to trade a Dinalli for a 2500, then he traded that 2500 for the one I ended up buying.
So I am now the proud owner of a 2006 2500HD D/A LLY SLT 4x4 Crew Cab. Silver Birch with Light Pewter inside.
All the bells and whistels and I really hope this was a smart move.
We got the employee price and saved around $8,000.00.
I gota go now and drive, only 100 miles on it after we played around last night so I want to go get this thing broke in.
Thanks for the info and I will be back when I am back.

okeehandyman
08-31-2005, 08:01
skynut- congrats on your new truck! With that truck and $8k savings whats not to be happy with? As said earlier, there will always be something you will think about for changes. Just enjoy & keep the shiny side up.

Kennedy
08-31-2005, 08:17
I call the 2006 LLY the lbz which will become LBZ when the power upgrades. The electronics and management is that of the LBZ and they appear to be part way there in the HP dept. Emissions, or internal upgrades (block etc) seem to be all that is holding it back.

Skynut
08-31-2005, 09:10
It is running great and the temp is allways steady......so far.
No towing yet and only 400 miles so far but the first tank of fuel averaged 16.8 mpg. Not bad I think, compared to my dakota 4x4 which was lucky to see 14 mpg.
I think they have done some of the LBZ mods to the vehicle but I am not sure. I want to find a 2004.5-2005 lly and see if there are differences in the radiator, shroud, and whatever else I can see. I know it has the lly motor but thats cool with me as long as it does not overheat when I get a trailer.

Stephen1
09-29-2005, 13:32
Unless you are doing any SERIOUS towing or are interested in drag racing the truck get the 2005. You will be more than happy and have $8,000 more in your pocket. I have a 2004 and tow 17,000 lbs across the country a few times a year. I love it. If an LLY can tow my load, the extra few HP and ft/lbs are more marketing than anything else. I would guess that the 5 speed vs. 6 speed allison would be the only big difference.

my 2 cents.....

Steve

DURA-MAX3
09-29-2005, 18:05
I test drove a new 06 LLY the other day and like Kennedy says it has all the new changes that is going to be on the LBZ. I have on 04.5 LLY and this new truck will run circles around mine. Whatever GM did it makes a world of difference to me. I am thinking about trading mine for one when they hit the streets. The 6 speed allison is way cool too.

Skynut
09-30-2005, 05:23
From what I hear they have done a lot of the mods to the truck other than the LBZ motor.
I think most of the electronics and cooling mods are there.
the six speed is cool, I don't really need to shift manually but I like that I could.

So far I am happy.

imjfp
10-05-2005, 09:02
How can you tell if you have an LLY or LBZ

DmaxMaverick
10-05-2005, 09:11
Look at the "Service Parts Identification" sticker in the glove box. The engine code will be listed. The 8th digit of the VIN will also indicate the engine.

taznj63
10-11-2005, 06:52
Does anyone know if they did away with the engine braking while in tow haul and overdrive lockout on the new 6 speed allison?

717Jock
10-30-2005, 23:13
This thread was my scenario to a "T." Decided to buy the '06 with the LLY to catch the employee deal rather than wait for the LBZ. Engine braking works great in the tow/haul mode with the 6-speed. Tried it crossing the continental divide in Montana while dragging my boat cross-country from Florida (Total GCVW just over 14,300#). Worked like a charm... Mileage towing was between 13 and 14 for most of the trip. The boat was barely noticable back there. First road trip without the trailer I got 19.5 doing 65mph. Very pleased so far.

---------------------

'06 Sierra 2500HD D(LLY)/A(6)CC/SB/4x4/SLT
Silver Birch/Dark Pewter
Westin SS nerfs/Line-X/Husky mud guards