PDA

View Full Version : Allison Deep Pan?

Bobcat698
08-16-2002, 08:59
I see in a lot of your signatures it says "Allison Deep Pan Installed".
What exactly does it help & why did you install it?
I thought the Allison was perfect in it stock form :rolleyes:

Is it neccessary for people who tow heavy loads or what is the deal? :confused:

Thanks

Garrett :confused: :confused: :eek:

sonofagun
08-16-2002, 15:53
Bobcat,

I've got the deep pan. I think I get better cooling with more fluid. It hangs down more in front the the GM installed version. They obviously did it for ground clearance reasons. I don't think it poses and clearance problems (other front end parts hang down farther, not to mention the 14.5 Diff.. If you do a lot of serious offroading a custom manufactured skid cover wouldn't hurt either pan. I wouldn't worry about it. It is a cheap conversion, costing less than $50. That doesn't count the transyd if you go that route (I did).

Good luck,
Bob

Raptorrider2001
08-16-2002, 19:51
I dropped into an authorized Allison dealer to get filters and asked about the deep pan. They didn't feel there was much if anything to be gained, although I like the idea of more fluid. They did say that if you do install the deep pan to be sure to get the internal filter with the longer pick up tube.

mhbreed
08-20-2002, 07:43
What are the part number for the pan and filter.

01_Duramax_Dually
08-20-2002, 07:57
mhhbreed,

Here you go

Allison Deeper Pan information

Here is the Parts list,

Pan: 29536522 $48.87
Gasket: 29536526 $29.36
Filter-Suction, Deep: 29537966 $21.22
Spin on filter: 29537268 $8.87
Transdyn Synthetic fluid: 27101-CTSC $28.00 per gal (you will need 3 gallons)

Larger pan holds 3.2 quarts more fluid so I think it's 7.4 (all you can drain) quarts plus 3.2 quarts = 10.6 quarts.
Total capacity (Dry system) with stock pan is 12.7 quarts.
So 12.7 quarts (DRY) + 3.2 (large pan) = 15.9 quarts.
Pan bolts = 20 ft lbs
Drain plug = 25 ft lbs
NOTE*
1. Old suction screen seal may stick in.
2. Oil filter has removable magnet.

Have Pics if you would like,

e-mail me at boost_it@pacbell.net

couple more notes.

1)When you drain the pan and it appears all empty,please be advised that when you drop the pan there is still a substantial amount of fluid left and the tranny will drip alot so have a suitable catch devices present.

2)You do not need a new pan gasket unless for some reason the one in the truck got damaged. Those gaskets are designed for re-use. I bought one regardless since I had not removed my pan and did not want to get all torn down and have accidentally damaged the gasket. My Allison dealer is 50 miles away.

Good Luck.

deerhunter7
08-20-2002, 08:28
I talked to the local Allison Dealer about it. For
the money any benefit would be marginal.If you were worried about heat a bigger cooler would do much more. I think it;s more keep up with the Jone's . He has it I have to have it. Adding it
of course will not hurt it ,just another shot to the pocket book .

01_Duramax_Dually
08-20-2002, 09:20
deerhunter7,
Not necessarily sure it is a keep up with the "Jones's" thing as you mentioned but anytime you add more fluid you increase cooling and increase longevity.
If you did this AND added a larger cooler you would be really making the difference. I did this primarily since I tow alot and wanted to add the Synthetic fluid. I did however have a noticed drop in operating temperature of my tranny from 190 to 170. My tranny temp never goes over 200 even when towing through the Mojave Desert at temps over 100 degrees. With my factory pan I saw temps of 210+. Now whether or not temp decrease was due to the synthetic ATF is undetermined. Probably the combo.

Either way it should have been an option at GM or part of the HD tow package. Hate adding stuff that GM should have made available. On a further note of GM options, I sure wish as part of their HD tow package they would have given the option of 19.5 steel wheels. I would have pony'd up the $$$$$ then...

deerhunter7
08-20-2002, 12:02
01-Duramax-Dully Your temps sure have been lowered
so maybe this mod may be needed. I called Allison
and normal temp on the big Allisons is 200 to 210
Asked for are's they said have to ask GM . Called them and they didn't have a number . Said they will call me back tomorrow and give me one..
Will post their answer... :confused:

77TransAm
08-20-2002, 12:35
According the the Mechinic's Tips, 160-200 degrees F is the normal operating temp range for the 1000/2000/2400 series transmissions.

The Allison website has a new FAQ section for owners of GM pickups with Allison transmissions, however, and that lists the normal operating temperature as 175-200 degrees F. Check it out at: http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/faq/

[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: 77TransAm ]</p>

IndigoDually
08-21-2002, 01:54
Has anyone researched a larger cooler from Allison that will work with the factory cooler lines? I don't mind fabricating a mount as long as I don't have to mess with plumbing.

Typing takes on a whole new challenge with my 4 day old in an arm at 4 a.m.

John :D

deerhunter7
08-22-2002, 13:00
Ok Gentlemen ,Got a reply back from GM. Working load normal temps are 190 to 210 degrees . Told me no concern unless going over 210 . Gave me a case number to confirm thats what they told me..
But I will agree cooler is better.. smile.gif smile.gif

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-22-2002, 13:26
To All,

I am in the process of upfitting a 16 pass 1/2" copper cooler with a 10" aux cooling fan. I have not had the time to track down the adapter fittings needed. Maybe over the labor day weekend I will have some time.

I will keep everyone posted. If you want to see the cooler click on my pics and look in the accessories album.

GMC ;)

LV TURBO BUICK
08-24-2002, 08:30
I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE FINDS A LAGER REPLACMENT COOLER THAT FITS THE STOCK LINES. IT SEEMS LIKE MY FUEL COOLER IS LARGER THAN MY TRANS COOLER AND THE TRANS COOLER IS HIDDEN BEHIND THE CHEVY SIGN IN THE GRILL--LEN

hoot
08-24-2002, 11:56
There is a fellow that makes air scoops that mount in the grill, diverting some air directly into the cooler.

http://forums.pickuptruck.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB11&Number=178958&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

imported_
08-24-2002, 12:49
A piece of flex hose will do the same thing,and
is a lot cheaper.You can direct all the air you
want right to the cooler.

hoot
08-24-2002, 21:23
I've got one of these air deflectors on the way. I'll do a little evaluation with pics for everyone.

kanton1
09-30-2002, 11:00
Quick question,

For those of you that have the deep pan, when changing the internal filter, how do you remove it and install the new one? Does it simply pull out or is it more complicated? Is there anything in particular I need to be cautious about?

Thanks
Kyle

77TransAm
09-30-2002, 11:16
kanton1, the suction filter just pulls out of the trans. You'll get a big splash of fluid out when the filter is removed, and then you can look for the seal. If it stayed in the bore, the easiest way to get it out is to wipe it off or spray it with brake spray, then wipe off the filter neck and reinstall the filter. Cock the filter to the side a little bit and pull straight out and it should bring the seal with it. It might take one or two tries, but you'll get it that way without any chance of damaging the bore.

Once that's done, just lube the seal on the new filter and push it in. Torque the pan bolts to 18-21 lb-ft, and the drain plug to 18-24 lb-ft.

01_Duramax_Dually
09-30-2002, 11:16
Kanton1,
It is a plug in, pull out deal. Make sure the O-ring on the tube comes out with the original filter. People have reported they did not come out when pull down. Make sure with the deep pan you get the deep filter pick up.

mdrag
09-30-2002, 12:11
hoot,

I agree with you on the deep pan - it is a relatively inexpensive upgrade, the only downside is the pan protrudes lower and may be a problem if you off road.

On my '01 Chevy, the cooler scoop lowered the tranny temps by 20-25 degrees with highway driving. I've had it on about 2.5 weeks. This is with LUND screen front in place before/after the scoop.

As expected around town in traffic, it doesn't make much differnce.

I've also seen the water temp go down by 1/2 a tick mark - so no noticable increase in water temps.

SoCalDMAX
09-30-2002, 12:28
The factory cooler is a stacked plate design, and from what I've read, more efficient than a tube and fin design. Some of the tube design coolers may have fins in the tubes to give more surface area and swirl the fluid, but each mfr claims theirs is the best.

The big problem is that the grill emblem is blocking most of the cooler. Trying to move it down or installing a larger stacked plate cooler might work out. Summit sells the largest (looks like 4x larger) stacked plate cooler for less than $60. The quick release fitting just screws into the cooler. Just drain the lines, release the fittings, screw fittings into the new cooler and install it. The larger cooler would probably go from the bumper to hood, 11" wide. It may have too much cooling for cold climates, but you can put the cold front on....

On edit: I also have the deep pan installed with Transynd. To me it appears that the tranny temp will eventually reach equilibrium at possibly the same temp, but will heat up much slower due to the increased qty of fluid. Since the temp can "spike" due to short hills, load, etc. the increased qty would keep the temps in check for short periods until the hill was climbed and temps equalized again. I'm seeing 160-200, but only see 200 in town stop and go in normal mode. I also saw a really nice grill over the weekend that was chrome and had no emblems on it, just chrome bars. Looked great, probably better cooling as well.

Regards, Steve

[ 09-30-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

Bobcat698
09-30-2002, 17:57
Well, I see this thread is alive again.
Any, what I have to say is, I don't know if it will be necessary to get the deep pan, since I have never seen the temperatures over 150

chuntag95
10-03-2002, 15:03
Hoot,

Did you ever finish your scoop eval? I am seeing 200-210 and was considering the addition.

:D