PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Allison on Vacation - Doh

VANBC2500HDDA
08-15-2002, 19:07
On my way to Salmon Arm for my annual summer vacation my Allison tranny let go and spayed tranny fluid all over the underside of my truck and the boat I was towing...

Of course it was a long weekend... brought it into Kamloops GM dealership on Saturday, and on Tuesday they told me that they had removed the tranny and found that all but 1 of the torque converter bolts were loose and the one tight one had a stress fracture on a weld near it...

So the next day they got a new TC and away I go... with a $2000+ bill to GM and a $300 bill to me... the first half of my $300 was cause I instructed them to replace my lost TRANSYND with new stuff... ( buggers should have billed GM for that IMHO ) and the other $150 was purely stupidity on my part... I asked them to change the FUEL filter.... $150 @#!%!! Dollars ????

Sheeeit

What a burn...

Funny thing is it was raining a bit on the drive up and I felt the back end of the truck being a bit squirrely going up the steep hills, and I guess I was getting wheel spin from the tranny fluid all over the tires....

Anyways... I guess alot of ribbing over the next 10 days from all my buddies up there... It tough owning the best when everyone hates it...

Stephan

csimo
08-15-2002, 19:55
I've read enough of these stories to believe this is a significant problem. I urge you, and anyone else that has had this problem to file a complaint with the NHTSA.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/index.cfm

This is a safety problem, and someone will eventually get killed because of tranny fluid causing traction loss. It's just a matter of time.

Beyond the safety issue there's the fact that it's impossible to restore the vehicle to its previous condition after such an incident. If you try and clean off the tranny fluid from the underbody the anti-corrosion film goes with it.

GM if your listening... a recall is in order ASAP on this one.

mackin
08-15-2002, 20:33
VANBC2500HDDA,

How many miles on the truck when it let go?

MAC

VANBC2500HDDA
08-15-2002, 21:16
21,000 km ( 12,600 Miles )

Kinda Disappointing really,

If anyone wants proof I can scan the work order and post it...

Stephan

mackin
08-16-2002, 04:27
VANBC2500HDDA,

I wasn't doubting you,actually sorry to here it did happen to you ...I was just wandering if I passed the danger zone creeping in on 18k on my 01...Seems this happen fairly soon into ownership...So I was speculating if it were to happen chances are it would of by now......Thanks for the responce...

MAC :D

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

IndigoDually
08-16-2002, 07:51
My brother's T/C bolts on his '01 fell out within the first month or so.

John

VANBC2500HDDA
08-16-2002, 08:27
How many times has this happened ? Should I write a letter to GM ? at least asking them to reimburse me for the Transynd ? And possibly compensate me for the 4 days of my Vacation I had to wait in Kamloops while the rest of my friends were in Shuswap ?

Stephan

Bobcat698
08-16-2002, 08:57
Do you think they fixed this problem for the 03's?
I sure HOPE so.

Garrett