PDA

View Full Version : GM selling Allison to Ford?

TXDMAX
08-13-2003, 07:42
Just wondering if anyone else had heard this. We just had a meeting w/ a GM product trainer and this was mentioned. They said it was pretty much a done deal but it could change. Thought y'all might be interested.

I'll be able to get all the specifics on the new engine in sept.

Silver Bullet
08-13-2003, 08:24
Is Allison GM's to sell??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

TXDMAX
08-13-2003, 08:37
From what I was told Allison is owned by GM. The rights for the Allison trannies in GM products are good for 4 years. I also was told that they will be pulling the Cat engines out of the medium duties and solely going w/ the Duramax. We should also be looking for smaller dmaxes in the near future.

bobojay
08-13-2003, 11:57
Allison is a division of GM. It's run as a separate business though.
It's the "premier" supplier of HD auto transmissions in the world.
Being an active GM/Delphi employee, there has been nothing in the grapevine about this. It's the first I've heard of it, or anyone at my local union either.
I for one would be SHOCKED if this would happen. Allison is a giant asset in GM's portfolio. One of it's last I might ad.
Duramax Ltd. is co/owned by GM & Isuzu. But it is an American company.

chuntag95
08-13-2003, 12:04
I would wait for something official. Seems like I remember a rumor about Cumins being bought by Ford at one point and that they were going into the Superduties too. That didn't make sense either, just like this.

sk
08-13-2003, 13:01
I am going to assume that when you say "GM selling Allison to Ford" you mean just the product, not the division. As far as that goes, GM had exclusive rights on the Allison 1000 for 2 years (in other words 2001 and 2002 Model Year trucks) -- after that Allison was supposed to be able to sell it to whoever they wanted. Besides, you can already get Allison medium-duty transmissions in Fords from the F450 up so it would make sense if Ford was looking to offer them in the F250/350.

By the way, Allison is completely owned by GM and I'm pretty sure they aren't looking to sell it -- they just moved the division under the "GM Powertrain" group a few months ago.

Scott

TXDMAX
08-13-2003, 13:09
SK,
We were told the whole divison, not just the product (1000 series). GM has exclusive rights for 4 yrs not 2 or you would have seen the 1000 series in Dodges allready. GM might be selling because I hear they are a little cash strapped. But I guess we'll see. This info came from a very reliable source and said that it was mentioned in a meeting a few weeks back. I hope this doesn't happen and doesn't make sense to me either unless they can get a whole lot of money and keep the big rebates going :D

mackin
08-13-2003, 14:35
Who's more strapped for cash other then GM ??

Furd ...... ;)

Although anything is possible I don't see what Fords angle would be ... Solely for medium duty usage?? They have developed the Torqueslip for their look a like to the Allison ..... Why would they abandon it, seems to be the only shining introduction to the 03 PSD ...?? :rolleyes:

Seems to me Allison is a profitable JV for GM,would be a mistake to let it go ...

Mac :confused:

[ 08-13-2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: mackin ]

big dipper
08-13-2003, 17:44
Originally posted by TXDMAX:
SK,
We were told the whole divison, not just the product (1000 series). GM has exclusive rights for 4 yrs not 2 or you would have seen the 1000 series in Dodges allready. This is incorrect. The reason Dodge didn't get the Allison was because of their finances. They were slated to get the Allison for their 2003 line-up and the deal fell through about 2 years ago. I did hear before that Ford had talked with Allison and were working on a deal, but nothing ever came out of it to the best of my knowledge. This was 1 year ago and since then, they have produced their own 5 speed with a special towing feature and grade braking. So, I really don't know why they would want to buy from Allison, but I SURE HOPE THEY DO!!!!!!!!

Nothing I would like more than a little job security!!! :D :D :D

77TransAm
08-14-2003, 07:34
So far Big Dipper is closest to the truth of anyone... Dodge did look long and hard at using the 1000 series in their 2003 trucks - they even went so far as to have several test mules with 1000's in 1999. After the merger DCX backed out of that program, though. Ford was a bit further from a commitment to use the trans, although they did investigate the possibility and tour the plant in Indianapolis. I don't think it ever went further than the investigative stage for either party, and that deal died in 2000 without even getting off the ground.

As far as selling the transmissions to Ford... yep. Ever since the 1000/2000/2400 went into production, Ford has been using them in F550/650 trucks. It was only the pickup truck deal that didn't come through.

These days Allison isn't even a separate "division" to sell. They are a completely absorbed part of GM Powertrain. They share engineering, HR, purchasing, and management personnel. It would be a very difficult proposition indeed to try to split off "Allison" and sell them when so many functions have been fully integrated into GMPT.

TXDMAX
08-14-2003, 07:48
Big Dipper,

Just curious, where are you getting the info on that Dodge was planning to put the alli in the 03 models. I have been told since late 01 (when I heard that also) from GM people that they had exclusive rights for 4 years. I may be wrong but I think I also read it here. Once again just reporting on things i've been told by very reputable sources.
Where's Big Al when we need him the most? :(

big dipper
08-14-2003, 15:05
TX,
I work at GM Baltimore which is where one of Allisons plants are. Yes, I am 100% positive about the transmission being in the 2003. The plant here in MD was to be expanded in late 2001 early 2002 and I was supposed to be in training by Feb. 2002. When the deal with Chrysler fell through, so did my job at Allison.

I did forgot to add in that I was refering to the 250/350. BUT, I do know that mid to late year 2002, Ford reps. were here in Baltimore looking at the plant again. Obviously they have yet to commit.........

George

moisheh
08-15-2003, 06:25
Cannot add diretly to the above rumours BUT: I did read story about the heavy duty truck mfrs: Chrysler (Volvo), Freightliner, etc. The story stated that becuase they are under huge competitive pricing pressure and that they are considering NOT offering powertrains that are not OEM. So that would mean no Cats in a freightliner. No Cummins ,etc. Perhaps that would also affect Allison.

TXDMAX
08-15-2003, 09:37
Dipper,

I hope people read this thread. This shows that everytime a dealersip tells you wrong info it is not their fault. Like i've said my info came from longtime GM employees. But I guess they can be wrong too. :confused:

Lone Eagle
08-15-2003, 12:20
I heard those stories from several sources and didn't believe them for a minute. Duramax/Allison is one word. What could the Dmax do without the Allison? All of us would be driving 6 speeds or Dodges. L ;) ater! Lone Eagle

Jomar
08-18-2003, 21:13
Has anyone seen a Ford with a 5.9 Cummins engine in it? I have. It was in Valdez, AK. in the summer of `99, after the powerjokes came out. I ask the guy if he had the 5.9 dodge engine, and he got rather mad and said it was a cummins and not a --------- dodge engine. It was a F450 and he was pulling a big 5er.
Haven`t seen any since though.

Jomar