PDA

View Full Version : TCM Disconnection for welding

kanton1
06-13-2002, 09:57
Wanted to know how and where you disconnect the TCM if you were going to weld on the truck? I have a small piece from a lift kit that will need to be welded.

Thanks in advance for answers
Kyle

7mmSTW
06-13-2002, 10:07
Just disconnect your ground cables and you should be alright.

kanton1
06-14-2002, 16:18
7mm- thanks for the reply

Alli-Max-

I see that you have welded and posted about disconnecting the negative and the TCM. Where is the TCM located?

ANY OTHERS know where this is?

Thanks,
Kyle

hammer
06-14-2002, 19:20
Kanton 1,The TCM is on the right side facing the truck from the front.Its under the battery in a plastic case surrounding it.The one for the allis. is on the back side of the radiator on the right side also.If you just disconnect the ground on the two batteries thats all you need to protect the TCM & Allis module.I wouldnt monkey with either one cause the pins in them are very touchy concerning the connections.When I put the fast Idle on mine I had a hard time getting the TCM out to put the pin in the connection were it needed to go & its a pain trying to get it back in were its located.You surely need some mechanical exsperience to takle the job to do it right.If you attempt to put fast Idle on it youll need to go to pin hole no.71.Thats the one that controls the PTO system which will give you 3 speeds on the fast Idle off your cruise control.Also need to get a pin from your dealer for the TCM pin hole & some water proof gel to keep all moisture out of the connection.Your dealer will be able to install this for you for about $150.I did mine through the help from our forum members & it was a success since day one. smile.gif

Alli-max
06-15-2002, 00:45
Disconnected the TCM for the heck of it... but if you DONT find it, then dont worry. Just disconnect both negatives and you will be fine. Too damn much has been made about this TCM BS.

I am thinking about welding a leafblower to my truck WHILE it is running. :D

kanton1
06-15-2002, 10:14
I have not looked very closely, but when you guys say both negatives, what do you mean? I have not spotted 2 batteries in my truck. Am I missing something? I also have the 8.1L, does that make a difference?

Thanks,
Kyle