PDA

View Full Version : High idle experts Help needed

Buck
01-15-2003, 04:07
I hooked up the High idle switch Saturday 1/11 and worked great the first time it was turn on, bumped the R's to 850 just like Kennedy's instructions say so on..also worked great Sunday and Monday morning. The ECM was replaced on my 2001 D/A Monday 1/13 for "resume on cruise problem" (3rd step) Anyway, after that the tech said that he can change the RPM settings if I wanted, cool...we had the truck running with the tech 2 hooked up. Flipped the switch for the high idle and the truck started to run ROUGH :eek: like it was outta sink, vibrating a lot about 600-700 RPM, hit Set button and the RPM's would move for a second then go back to the "Rough" idle, same with Resume switch. He put in new idle speed with the tech 2 under PTO adjustments and nothing happened. I know my tech sent Kennedy an email ;) , just wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be? :confused:

Kennedy
01-15-2003, 10:17
Your "Standby" speed will be goofy like that when you flip on the switch. I haven't found any way around this. It apparently is cancelling the cylinder balancing rate at idle, and will sometimes oscillate between balance/no. I guess this gives you a pretty good idea how critical this balancing is!

There is often a delay of several seconds, even minutes it the engagement of the set speed or resume speed apparently depending on engine temp or how long since last engaged, or BOTH.

This is one of those projects that I played with and dicked the better part of a day away. The worst part is, it is projects like these that are difficult to remember and describe in detail without actually doing...

mdrag
01-15-2003, 14:59
Buck,

I'm wondering if they tried to program your truck for the VARIABLE PTO SPEED CONTROL mode option. I've not been able to get my truck to work using the variable option. Have them check to make sure the PRESET PTO SPEED CONTROL mode is programmed. Using the Tech2:

1) Select the Diagnostics option from the Main menu.
2) Select the Model Year from the Vehicle ID menu.
3) Select the LD Truck, MPV, Incomplete option from the Vehicle ID menu.
4) Select the Powertrain option from the System Selection menu.
5) Select the Engine type from the Vehicle ID menu.
6) Select the Transmission type from the Vehicle ID menu.
7) Select the Special Functions option from the Powertrain menu.
8) Select the PTO options from the Special Functions menu. The Current PTO settings
screen will be displayed.
9) Press the Change Options key and then select the desired PTO Operating Mode.
10) Select F1 : Preset PTO Speed Control

Change the necessary parameters:

PTO Fast Idle Option Pre set
PTO Max. Engine Speed 2200* RPM (max 3100)
PTO Stand by Speed 800-850* RPM (max 1300)
PTO Set Speed 1250* RPM (max PTO Max. Engine Speed)
PTO Resume Speed 1700* RPM (max PTO Max. Engine Speed)
PTO Max. Engage Speed 1000* RPM
PTO Engine Shutdown No
PTO Engage Relay No
PTO Feedback No

The above *RPM values are guidelines/factory settings. Be careful setting the MAX ENGINE SPEED, When the PTO settings are initially read, the PTO Max. Engine Speed setting may show a value of 6000+ rpm and you don't want it that high for obvious reasons ask Kennedy about that :eek:

Good luck.

mdrag
01-15-2003, 18:04
I've noticed that when I change RPM settings, they do not take effect until the ignition is cycled on/off. This caused some head scratching...

mdrag