PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Flush

jbplock
08-20-2005, 18:29
Took a little time today and flushed the brakes on my 03 2500HD

JD Diesel
08-21-2005, 20:06
Well the bad news is that is the most forgoten area of maintance. Most of use never think about flushing brake fluid. Yeah I'm also one of them nuts that forgets to or just to lazy. JD ;)

DmaxMaverick
08-22-2005, 14:59
3 qts does seem excessive. The calipers will hold a considerable amount more fluid than the old slave cylinders, but probably not that much more. One possibility is the new fluid was mixing with the old fluid, taking a while to flush clean.

When flushing calipers, try compressing the pistons to reduce the volume in the caliper. It makes it much quicker, and more thorough.

I have a flush scheduled for 100K, which is just around the corner.

chrisinkanata
08-25-2005, 11:46
I agree that this is probably the most neglected maintenance item. I did mine this spring and pretty much got what I expected after 60k miles. I've done this regularly in other vehicles I've had so wasn't terribly surprised. I used about two litres to do mine.

Chris

Jim Brzozowski
08-31-2005, 08:24
jbplock, did you syphon out the fluid from the master cylinder and replace with new fluid before starting the flush?

jbplock
08-31-2005, 13:11
Originally posted by SoTxPollock:
jbplock, did you syphon out the fluid from the master cylinder and replace with new fluid before starting the flush? SoTx,

No, but looking back I probably should have. I started pumping with the check valve connected to the right rear bleeder fitting and continued until the fluid level in the reservoir was just below the